Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

I had my home birth......on my own!!!

Hi, just thought i would share my story with you.

It started with contractions at 6 in the morning and after having 4 children already i thought i was in for a long day. My other childrens labours all started in the morning but i didn't give birth til the afternoon with them!
I had my first 2 in hospital but had the next 2 at home.

By about 8 o'clock the pain was really quite strong and i told my partner that i think i might need the gas and air soon! I started running a bath and got in it. It helped a bit but the contractions were still coming strong only they weren't very regular. I was having 2/3 at once then they would die off for a few mins and come back again.
My partner gave the two kids to the neighbour to take to school, one was still upstairs in his cot and the other, 3years old, was running round the house!!

I was really in pain by this time and the midwives weren't here, so my partner phoned them but said don't worry it's not immenent!
At about 9:10am my waters went, still in the bath, i started saying oh no! oh no! because i knew that when my waters have gone with all the others my next contraction was going to be a push!!
My partner asked 'are you ok'!!!!
and i replied 'not really, my waters have just gone and i think the baby is going to come'!!
and his reply to that was 'oh, i didn't want to say anything because i thought you pood'!!!! ha!

My partner in a panick tried to phone the midwives but it was too late a pushed once and my little baby's head came out!!! I waited til the next contraction and i pushed him out, and asked my parnter to grab him because i was in the bath and i panicked cos i didn't want him to drown! I didn't even have time for gas and air!!! lol!

I lay in the bath amazed at what had just happened with my little baby boy on my chest and waited for the midwives to turn up. It was about 5/10mins before they arrived!!

Both me and baby were fine. He weighed 9lb 13oz. It wasn't quite the homebirth i had planned but i will never forget it!!

thanks for reading

michelle xx

Replies

• That is such a wonderful birth story. I have had dreadful births and this story brought a tear to my eye. fantastic.

enjoy your lo

xxDBxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev352pf___.png

• Well done you! That feeling when they're lying on your chest is amazing, and being at home makes it even better!
  • Congratulations!! It must have been panic stations at the time but what a lovely story now! 9lb 13oz thats a good size! Did you stay at home after the birth or did they want you to go to hospital to be checked? x
  • hi, no all was fine with me and baby so they let us stay home. Luckily for me i sort of new what to do after having 4 kids already but it was still scary!! My last baby weighed 10lb 4oz so i was a bit worried the baby might get stuck if he was bigger. It just doesn't seem real when i think back and realise that i actually did that. lol!
  • OMG, thats fantastic and soo quick. Seems to have been lots of quick births from the march ladies. Thought i was gonna end of having my lo at home as all happened soo fast, but luckily made it to hosp. Dont think i'd have been as calm as you though. Congratuations.
    xx
  • Just gc to say wow thats amazing. So cool.
  • Huge congratulations a wonderful birth story. I really want a home birth keep my fingers crossed that it will be calm like yours. x
  • How great was that!
    Glad you and baby are well.
    xx
  • Blimey, that was fast and you did amazingly to stay calm!

I would love a home birth, but this will be my first so not sure if it will happen yet x
  • Wow you are one amazing lady - congrats honey.xxx
  • Well done. What a lovely birth story and a whopping weight with no pain relief. You deserve a medal for coping so well and your hubby must have nerves of steel.
    xx
  • wow well done you! rather different to the homebirth story I just posted, with midwives needed for considerably longer!!
    congratulations xx
  • That's a lovely story. well done & congratulations x
  • Lovely story. Thank you for sharing - you're so brave! This really pulled at my heartstrings xx
  • Oh bless you and congratulations on your 5th baby. Hope you and your baby boy are doing well. I know how you feel i've had two unattened births now (baby number 2 and baby number 3) or BBA's as they like to call them - really want a 4th child but after the speed of the other two i'm rather worried i may sneeze at 40wks and find the baby in my pants lol or might just be 6 hours like with my first one. Hope life with five is super.
    Hugs
    Jo xxx
  • hahahaha!!!

jojomummy how or why did that happen? Baby no5 is great thanks 5 months old now but just found out i'm due baby no6 lol so a bit worried after what you've just said lol xxx
  • Hey, i planned a homebirth with my second as my first was good in the midwife led unit but regretted not having the guts to have a homebirth first time round. However, with number 2 i went 6 days over without any signs of labour near - then at a week over i woke up at 7am went to the loo and my waters broke, told my hubby to call the midwife but halfway through his call i shouted that needed to push - the midwife said she was on her way but to call an abulance - it didn't make it - infact it didn't come till 15 mins after my son was born and the midwife untill 30 mind after that - the time of the call to abulance was made at 7.13am and recorded birth time was 7.34am (dreadful that it took 40mins for the abulance to come - good job i wasn't having a heart attack) - with number 3 we just left it too long before we rang the midwife but the labour was still on 1 1/2 hours and an hour
    of that was spent with me wondering is it or isn't it - my birth story is on here. My mum had me babies quickly too.
    Jo xxx
  • OMG a big congratulations and on your own as well.

• Thanks everyone x

Baby Osian is nearly 6 months old now but i'm pregnant again with number 6 so hopefully my 4th home birth will go smoother!! lol xxxxxxxxx
  • wow congratulations on your pregnancy, i'm quite jealous lol - My youngest is only 6wks old but miss my bump already definitely want more. I'm sure birth number 6 will be wonderful.
    Jo xx