Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone booked into the hospital then changed their mind?

I'm booked into an out of area hospital as our local one is crap! At the booking in appt with midwife, she recommended I had a home birth because my first labour was straightforward but I wasn't keen.

My ds was born on 37wks exactly, so this time round I have to see the consultant at 20wk scan but I don't envisage any problems.

How would I go about changing to having a homebirth?
If the baby came before the midwives had brought their equipment would I have to go to the local hospital?

Thanks x

Replies

• Options
    Hey, I am nearly 35 weeks and have only just 'officially' arranged my homebirth. I had planned to have one from early on in my pregnancy but one of my midwives is very against them so I had to force her to put me in 'the homebirth book' (just a few weeks ago) and to arrange an appointment with a different midwife who really likes to do homebirths.
    At around 37 weeks they will do a home visit and leave some stuff at my house (not sure what) and talk about our hombirth.
    And thats it really - certainly in my area. Here, i can only have a homebirth from 37 weeks onwards so if baby arrives earlier i have to go into hospital (hence why they don't visit before 37 weeks).

So i guess you just need to talk to your midwife about it at your next appointment to see what the local procedure is?

Hope that is helpful. Let us know how you get on.

Libby (34+5) xx
  • Options
    Hi As Libby said they don't "book" you for a homebirth til around 36 weeks anyway but you can tell them you want one before that. Then they will do a home visit and bring the birth pack around at your booking around 36 weeks then you can have your homebirth anytime from 37 weeks.

• Options
    Hiya,
    I didnt decide to have a homebirth until 36 weeks as I had a low lying anterior placenta at my 20 wk scan and they had to re-scan me then to check it had moved. Well it had so I just told my midwife at my 36 wk check I wanted a homebirth and she came out that week with my 'homebirth pack'!

I was very lucky to have an extremely supportive midwife and team who were pro-homebirth.

Good luck-its the best thing I EVER did lol!