Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Planning a HB - do I need a hospital bag?

Hello ladies!

Hope you don't mind me poking my nose in here!? (I've been lurking for a while, and getting lots of fabby info, so thank you all very much for sharing your experiences!)

Anyway - I was wondering, I am planning a HB, my MW said I am an ideal candidate for HB, and doesn't anticipate any problems, but should I pack a hospital bag just in case I need to go in? Do I need to take all the usual stuff that I took when I went in last time? Or will there be things that I can leave out?

Also - my MW said to gather together all the things that I'll need for the labour, but she didn't go into details? what sort of things will I need?

Would it be worth just having one box with everything in and then getting DH to pack it all up if I end up going in? Would he have time to do all that? or would it be better to have a box with all the HB stuff, and then have a packed bag buy the door, ready to go?

I'm a bit confused.
Thanks girls.

Nx
25 + 1

Replies

• hi i packed 2 bags! and left them in the baby's nursery. i had my toiletries, which were travel sized. nighties. underwear. clothing. dressing gown. slippers. headbands and bobbles. hair clips. hair brush. phone book. money. pen and paper. bath towels. maternity pads. sanitary pads with wings for under the maternity pad for added protection (my friend told me to do this and it was a good idea!)

then i had baby's bag with 2 newborn sets of clothes. cardi. coat. cellular blankets. nappies. cotton wool. baby towel.

i then had a birth box in the living room, where the birth pool was going to be. in that i had a towel. big tshirts for birthing in (i actually just kept on the vest i was sleeping in before labour got too bad!) my tankini (which i returned after the birth!), the camera, my notes, the birth pool, 2 shower curtains, head band. birthing music (didnt put it on), hypnobirthing cd. birth ball (this i HATED during labour!)

i think that was it. hubby found it very useful as when i or the mws needed something it was all handy.