Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Failed by system -3rd dg tr

So after having a 3rd degree tear with the birth of my DD, I stayed in 2nites and was sent home with Antibiotics and Stool softner.

I never had any follow up's was never asked about it at my 6week check. I continued to take laxatives on and off for 2 1/2 yrs after having her and even visited my GP due to discomfort who shouldve acknowleged the tear in my notes, who told me it was most probably piles that i was suffering with.

Anyway, since falling pregnant with my 2nd child (31+5) I was forward to see consultants about what steps to take with the delivery this time around to avoid complications. I finally saw a Consultant/Gyno who's area off interest happens to be 3rd & 4 Degree tears who told me I've been completley failed by the system as after 12wks of have DD I shouldve recieved Pyshio and have a internal scan done an been given a whole lot of support and given me all the information i wouldve required to have a 2nd pregnancy.

However none of this happened so they cnt give me an idea of whether i could manage a normal delivery or would require a csec. Am really stuck between a rock and a hard place because they give you all the scary information about c-sec but they cnt put my mind at easy that i wont be left with anymore damage down below.

I dont really want to plan a c sec cos i dont want to be away from my dd and oh im so independent aswell i dont like relying on others to do things for me that would be the case if i had a csec. I've got 3 weeks to make my mind up anyone got any thoughts on this? :? x

Replies

• hi,

Im so sorry to hear that you were failed by the NHS....

I suffered a 3rd degree tear 13 weeks ago (today !!) and was also sent home with antibiotics and laxatives....A physio came to see me before I went home who just told me to do lots of pelvic floors....

The doctor didnt check me at the 6 week check but I did have a hospital app 8 weeks after the birth and a midwife checked my stitches....I still have one stitch in there buts its very deep so will take a while longer to disolve....

I was told that even after having a 3rd degree tear I would have every chance of giving birth naturally again so I can't see why you can't !!!!!

DLAM xxx
  • hi

sorry forgot to say that I was discharged at that midwife appointment and I do not need to go back for any internal scans etc etc........

DLAM xxx
  • I'd like to give normal delivery a try but in the long run I dont want the upset of being rushed in to and Emergancy C Sec. I suppose i'll just have to wait and see image

Thanks for sharing your experience tho.x
  • Some people have 3rd degree tears and then the next baby dont even need a stitch....

I guess each labour is soooo different.....

I think you will need to tell the MW your feelings so that if she thinks there is a high chance of tearing she can get you into the C section earlier so its not an Emergency !!!

Im sure the MW will also slow down your pushes so that the baby crowns slowly....I tore as I pushed so chuffing hard his head came out in one push !!! (only pushed 5 times in total !!!)

hope all goes well...but my advice is to talk to the MW as much as possible....

DLAM xxx
  • Hi I was just being Nosey and found your Post on the Wall. I had a 3rd dg tear back in 2004 with my 1st son and also recived the same a you just Laxatives and ABs They did however have a look at 6 weeks to see if it had come together well and it had. So In 2007 when I was having my 2nd son I was offerd a c secion and I turnd it down. I am glad I did as I did have 2nd dg tear but I was up walking around, Driving within 48 hours of having him. I am now expecting Number 3 and have just turnd down the c secion again as I Feel That I need to be up and about pretty soon after Baby is born so I will take the risk. I should add that Baby number 2 was 9lb 3oz and so I was lucky to get away with a 2nd dg tear as he was a bit bigger then DS1. Good luck with what ever you choose to do. x x x
  • Thanks for your reply.

I'm thinkin i might try giving natural ago, as like you i dont want to be laid out for nearly 6weeks. I couldnt bare not being able to do all normal things and tbh i dont remember it being all that bad once i was home with her.

I suppose all i can do is give it ago and hope 2nd time around it dont all go wrong image
  • I had a 3rd degree tear with my ds1 and was given a-b and laxatives. They never checked mine after and I never got any physio until I complained from having prolapses. They then found that my tear had an unhealing scar that was still open 6 months after birth causing a lot of pain as well as 3 prolapses (sorry tmi) I then went on to have ds2. Was never offered a c-sec infact the 3rd degree tear never came up even when I mentioned it. I only had a mild 2nd degree tear with ds2 and had more checks than with first. Now pg with no 3 and the tears are not worrying me (just the entire birth!!)

I was told that unless it was a real medical need then c-secs are only an emergency.
  • Really wow they've given me the option of a Csec but just told me the bads side of it which has put me off. Like I said to OH I'm not gonna know if i can deliver normally unless i try so I'm going down the natural root image
  • So sorry to hear you were let down by the system. There is absolutely no excuse for this!

Good on you for trying the natural route!!! As a professional who works in a maternity theatre performing both elective and emergency sections I can help with any questions you might have should it come to that, not officially obviously, just advice. I'm sure with the support of your obstetric team, there is no reason why would be taken to theatre.
  • I had an episiotomy and an internal 3rd degree tear (whatever that means) with DD in 2008. I went to the Dr's 6 times about pain and the fact I could not dtd with DH. They found pollips caused by excess scar tissue and I had re constructive surgery and pollip-ectomys when DD turned one. I was told that I could have an elective section with no2 if we had one as I would be more likely to tear. However, the first one also paves they way for the 2nd so they were hopeful a 2nd delivery wouldn't be as bad. I'm preg with No2 now and unsure what to do. I have my booking apt on friday so will discuss with her. Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes. All the best x
  • Just an update for you ladies, I ended up having a sucessful spontanious vaginal delivery Term+4 on the 1st of march with quiet a quick labour, lasting 4hours 8mins with only g&a for an hour I ended up having a 2nd degree tear but it was more of a graze they said although i'm feeling it still.

I'm glad that i kept draggin out my consultant appointments and didnt book myself in for an elective at 39wks as i'd have been alot sorer then i am now. The first of march was my final consultant appointment too to get my booked in for elective so Its fate that he came when he did.

Plus i was home the same afternoon as having my DS an have been out and about like normal, if not pushing it too much lol

My BS is in BIF image