Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

VBAC Consultant Appointments?

Hi ladies!

When/did you get to see a consultant when aiming for a VBAC? I saw one at 12 weeks, he scribbled 'VBAC' on my notes and threw a statistic at me about 70% of women managed VBAC and I'd have a 10% chance of another infected wound. That was it. I assumed I'd see someone else nearer my due date (I was originally told they'd do everything to help me start labour myself-they don't induce here after sections, so if I don't go naturally then it's an elective, I was told sweeps from 37/38 weeks, raspberry leaf tea ect)

But today, at 35 weeks, I've been told I'll be left until 40 weeks before i see consultant then sectioned at 41 if nothing happened. They won't do a sweep before 40 weeks, but happily section me at 39 if I want(!) midwife says the don't like to interfer with 'the balance of nature' (hmmmm) I asked her if there was anything I could do at home and she just said 'no'

My last pregnancy the sweep was unsuccessful, so I wouldn't be holding up much hope that it

would work this time, but I feel like they could at least try and get me to go myself.

So long story short, how many times did/are you seeing consultant? Are they doing anything else to help? I really expected a bit more support, I know I'm not the only person to ever have a section but my recovery was horrific,PND and housebound for 14 weeks, I would have thought that merits a little extra care? I just feel so sad about the whole thing image it's making me just tell them to do the section at 39 weeks and then they'd have one less person not to bother about! It would mean at least I'd not be disappointed or waiting on someone else making the decision for me.

Sorry, that wasn't suppose to be that long!! Xx

Replies

• Options
    I'm under consultant care, and I saw the consultant at 16 weeks, again at 28 weeks(although not the same person - great continuity of care eh!), and shouldn't be seeing one again.

Can you speak to your midwife to see if she's got any pull with any of the consultants at your hospital to see if they can offer any further support? I can't believe that after your last c-section and the time it took you to heal, that they're not giving you a bit more in the way of reassurance.

I'd imagine that they'd be more keen to help you have a VBAC at 39 weeks, than a c-sec - surely that would be less for them to deal with? You'd certainly be home sooner, and (hopefully) heal sooner.

I'm having an elective c-sec, and not looking forward to being sent home from hospital as soon as last time (24 hours) as my ds is 19 months old now, and won't understand that mummy can't keep picking him up all the time. I wished I could have VBAC, but they won't let me even try.

Good luck with it - and try to relax. Just because a sweep didn't work last time, doesn't mean it won't again. Rasperry Leaf Tea, lots of sex, spicy food. Try anything!
  • Options
    Midwife said I had to see consultant before 15wk so saw one few days before 15wk. They've booked me in again to see them at 36wks for me to give them a decision on whether i want planned or to try vbac. If i want planned they will book me in then for approx 39wks and if i want vbac they will give me date for incase i dont labour naturally as also dont induce.

Going for planned as cant face horrific labour again.

Id def speak to yr midwife as they should be encouraging vbac and giving u all the help and advice you need. I wouldnt settle for section if its not really what u want.xx

good luck Hun.xxx
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies girls image I was thinking last night I was being unreasonable wanting a bit more support from Midwife, but now I'm just annoyed about her attitude.

I'm going to phone the ante natal department tomorrow and go above her myself, my problem the now is I'll get so worked up about it I'll burst into tears (like I did yesterday, bloody hormones!) I just don't understand why they'll section at 39 weeks but not offer a sweep? Seems odd, maybe she's just a bit rubbish?

I'll be bulk buying raspberry leaf tea, pineapples and hot curry sauces! image
  • Options

Hey I just wanted to add that everything the hospital or the midwife suggest is your choice, They should only offer you information and you make the decision thats right for you.

The reason stretch n sweep is not recommended is it in itself is an intervention and may start a woman on a road to a cascade of interventions. The thing is 99.9 % of the time labour will start itself possibly the baby starts it when its ready to be born, a term pregnancy is between 37 and 42 weeks and people werent offered inductions or elective caesareans so werent confused about what to do.

Also on you tube you can watch a very informative clip on vbac that gives you the actual risks of uterine rupture, it is something like 0.8 % I would hope you find the right care so you feel strong and supported and well informed and have the best birth you can.i think the clip is called vaginal birth after caesarean section, or something close to that.

Be strong, you are in control of your decisions reguarding your pregnancy

• Options
    Hi.

Perhaps it's because induction has a high rate if ending in emcs so they won't induce?

Maybe they think they can't help much aside from he planned section or don't want to build your hopes.

If you took a long time to recover last time are there reasons for this? Did you have a long labour beforehand.

I would push with the midwife and get your feelings across.

Hope they can support you more.