Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

I had my VBAC!!!

Just a message to inspire and enjoy I hope for all those wanting a natural delivery post section.

Cutting a very long story short...

2008 - crash section due to foetal distress. Went under general anaesthetic and only laboured for a few hours.

2010 (Dec)Successful vaginal birth to second son after induction 10 days post due date.

Episiotomy and internal tear but a wonderful epidural meant I didn't feel much at all after it was administered once my waters had been broken for me. Midwives very supportive...consultnats were varied in their support for a vbac ranging from a definite no to a you've done so well let's not have a section now.

Most frustrating part was the over cautiousness which meant i had to be monitored contnually despite my talks with staff and frustration at it. However, I am so proud I did it.

So much more I could say but thought if anyone had any specific questions then you could post a reply.

I was in all honesty suprised I was even allowed to be induced as they said I would have to have a section if went overdue so guess it all depends.

One piece of advice if you want a vbac - do your research and stick to your plans although do be realistic too

good luck x

Replies

• What a lovely story, thanks for sharing and congratulations. You've certainly given me some hope xx
  • BRILLIANT! I'm so pleased for you (althought I saw it in DID, image ) bet it was a world apart from your other delivery.

How much easier has your recovery from the episiotomy from the section?

Congratulations on your son!xx
  • congratulations on the arrival of your little boy and your vbac! I will definitely be trying for one when 2nd baby comes along.

I do have a few questions if you don't mind? How did they do the induction, was it just with the gel? I know you said they broke your waters for you, but was that then the end of the intervention or did you get the hormone drip as well?

Also, I've been worried about the continual monitoring as you end up immobile so more likely to have epidural, long labour etc etc, how insistent were they you had continous monitoring? Maybe it would depend on the midwife / consultant, but they couldn't force you to be on the monitor could they? Could you just request the standard 'every 15 mins'?

I've heard of people employing independent midwives for home VBAC in an attempt to get round the interference aspect of vbac, I don't think I'd be that brave but it would be nice to get on with it myself at least as much as possible!

anyway, glad you got the vbac and hope the recovery goes well and it's faster than a c-sec recovery image

xx
  • Well done - so nice to hear a positive story. Hoping for something similar in 7 weeks. My hospital said they wouldnt induce though as puts too much pressure on scar?

• thanks

will try and answer the queries:

induced by the pessary method which i was suprised about as initially told wouldn't be allowed that but midwife on duty for induction checked and said was fine

the pressure on scar is only same as a vbac whether induced or not ( you will need to find own stats but they were happy and in fact suggested induction whereas initially my consultant said no to induction - depends - ask for second opinion

had to have waters broken, drip etc as although i was getting contractions every 4-5 mins ith pessary it wasn't enough to open cervix really so they wanted to be a bit more forceful. to be fair i had at keast 24 hrs with it in before intervention and i manged to let them leave me an hr before drip after waters broken

re monitoring - they are quite insistent on the monitoring although that was only really some time into the process. to be fair the baby's heart rate was dipping on each contraction so that was why. however, they can't force you to do anything. i did manage to stand and sit on ball whilst on monitor but trace/belts kept slipping whivch was annoying. in the end was upright and then on my side on bed although never flat on back. i don't think i could have coped so well without epidural

re: episiotomy - only felt once epidural wore off that night. won't lie as found it really painful down there for prob first 6-7 days and only relief was in bath but 3 wrrks on i am driving, able to get up and off floor for nappies, pick up toddler etc so more painful than section but only for a week when section pain/recovery is 6 wks +

any more questions? happy to answer x
  • I saw a consultant (never the same one) about three times and never saw my named one. Each condultant has a different opinion about inducing/going overdue etc as I found out near the end when was allowed an induction after previously been told no.

The NCT is a useful place to start. They have a good leaflet about VBAC which gives you some basic info. i looked at VBAC results at my hsop and they were good - 7/10 women will manage a natural birth after a c section (2 of those assisted)

Good luck x