Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

First timer home birth

Hi all

This is my first post on here.

I am still very early in my pregnancy only 9+3 but I am already thinking about my birthing options. I have my booking appointment with my midwife in a couple of weeks so will discuss with her then but I am realy swaying towards a home water birth. After reading the lovely stories on here I just think i'd be much more relaxed than being in a hospital. I have thankfully never had to spend much time in one so think it could add to my panic a bit.

Anyway my question is have any of you or are any of you planning a home water birth for your first baby? I've seen quite a few who have done this with their second but not so many with their first.

Also has anyone tried hypnobirthing?

Bash xx

Replies

• Hi!

I'm planning a water birth for my first at home and so far the MW has been great about it. I go to a home birth support group in my area and there are loads of women there that have had successful home births with their first, some with water and some without.

I have a friend who had a homebirth with hypnobirthing (they went to classes rather than just doing a CD) and she had a pain free birth, which sounds amazing!

I hope that you get the support that you need!

• ah thanks very much for responding. My husband is being very supportive saying he is happy to do whatever I am more comfortable doing. My mum however is putting me off! image Will see what the midwife says.

I'll definitely look in to the hypnobirthing too, I just think it'd be a great way to keep calm, I still want the gas and air though!

Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy!

xx
  • Hi there,

I had a home birth with in Nov and it was my first - my BS is down the page a bit.

I did listen to the Hypnobirthing CD but found that it didn't do much for me during labour but it's definitely worth a shot!

Good luck

xx
  • I had a home/water birth with my first (and 4 & 5) and i would really recommend it.

Having a homebirth with your first baby is the best. As first labours tend to be longer you can be more comfortable at home and more relax which can help you have a faster easier birth.

Being in your own home with your things around you is FAB. amd the fact you are at home tends to keep you more active which again can help quicken your labour.

And the best of all when your beautiful baby is born you are left to relax in your own home with your OH (no visiting times) perfect.

Look in to homebirth support groups see if there is one near you? they can be really helpful.

best wishes. xx
  • Hi Bash,

I had a home birth for my first baby in Sept 09 and it was the best decision I ever made! I was going to the local birthing unit until I was 36 weeks and then changed my mind and Im so glad I did.

I hired a birth pool in a box for the birth and although I didn't give birth in the pool in the end it helped me immensely throughout the 1st stage. I was lucky in that my close family and the midwives were all so supportive but ultimately it is your decision and your body!

I also was lucky enough to go to hypnobirthing classes which I got free at the birthing unit and would HIGHLY recommend them. Its all about being comfortable and relaxed with the birthing experience and seeing it in a different way (ie. NOT how the lady was in the episode of One Born Every Minute this week! image )

Good luck with whatever you decide! x
  • Thanks so much for all your replies. I am wanting a home waterbirth more and more. I have my booking appointment with the Midwife a week Thursday when i'll be 11+6 so will see what she has to say then.

Thanks again.

xx