Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bleeding after c-section should I be worried?

i

Also posted in baby x

I'm probably worrying about nothing but sometimes can't be too sure so any advice is gratefully received

I had Niamh 2 weeks ago today by c-section, was planned rather than an emergency as she had stopped growing. I had the normal bleeding after which faded out by the weekend there and haven't needed any pads from Monday and been feeling quite well but today, around my scar's been quite sore and I'm feeling really drained- figured was just part n parcel of having newborn and a toddler but this afternoon I started bleeding again. TMI coming up but it's really red and heavy- have used 3 maternity pads from about 2pm. I've no other pains or anything so should I call midwife? I've been signed over to HV who isn't due out until next week so I'd have to call emergency number so don't want to waste time if it's normal.

I had a section with Lorelei and a late mc and both those times the bleeding stopped and didn't come back so that's why I;m confused

Replies

• Not sure if you have had a reply over in Baby, but I had similar. 7 days after my EMCS, I woke with crippling stomach pains (around my scar area), and started to bleed a lot more heavily than I was, and also passing a couple of small clots. I was taken back to the delivery unit, where I was checked over and was told I had an infection of the womb lining, which is apparently quite common with c-sections. This was causing the pain and extra bleeding.

They gave me antibiotics and sent me home, and I felt better within a few days.

Might be worth contacting your Dr if you are still experiencing this xx
  • Hi,

I wanted to reply as I had some issues with bleeding after my second (which was a vbac) I had to go back into hospital and have a d&c which sorted everything. I thought whether or not I should post this as I know return to hospital sounds scary. It was at the time but apparently I had some retained placenta and an infection which can be and was easily sorted. If you are worried I would contact your health visitor / midwife or even phone your maternity ward where you gave birth.

Good luck with it! x