Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Being sick during/after c-sec - Were you?

Hello Ladies,

I've read on another site that some ladies have been sick during the c-sec or afterwards.

Were any of you?

This is my worse fear, fear of being sick.

So just trying to gather how common it is and what it could be.

Thank you xx

Replies

• I had emergency csec and was sick afterwards. Not alot though. I lost alot of blood so think it may have been that, that made me feel really light headed. i just said 'i feel sick' nurse put bowl at side of my head an i was sick once then that was it.

that much other stuff going on that u dont really notice it.x Sure youll be fine.x
  • i wasnt sick during or after, if your worried you could always ask them to give you a antisickness drug during the surgery, sickness is more common in sections under general as the drugs can cause sickness but its quite unusual with a spinal/epidural, also if the section is planned i would think it would be less likely as you are starved prior to surgery, x
  • i wasn't sick with ds (emcs)...but was with dd (elcs)...my bp dropped quite low and apparantly that's what did it, can also be down to the antacid drink the give u immediately prior to surgery (hats what the assistant said)...i was given antisickness tab as part of my premeds as matter of course, which i had to take at 6am that day...guess it just depends really, as like i say it didn't happen with ds (but then i didn't have the antacid, but nor did i have the antisickness)...anyhoo, it was weird being sick when u can't feel ur stomach heaving, but was only a bit, and then they did someything to get my bp up a bit and i stopped, then they carried on with the delivery....hth x
  • I wasnt sick at all during or after my section, I was sick during labour before my section tho, purely through pain!!
  • I had an EMCS and was sick a little bit when I got into theatre. I'd been fine up until then, and I remember being given something in my hand, by the anesthatist (sp?) and then suddenly feeling sick, which he said I would. It was literally just a mouthful and probably wasn't helped by the fact that I hadn't eaten since the Sunday evening at 6pm and I was having my section at 7pm on the Monday!!!

xx
  • No sickness here I'm glad to report xx
  • I had an emcs and wasn't sick during or after x
  • I wasnt sick at all but did feel a bit faint and funny when they were stiching me up as my blood pressure dropped a bit x
  • I had an elective c-section and I was sick during the op ..... well they had only just started cutting. I felt a bit hot and a little sick. I let my fab anaethetist know and she started to adjust sth and gave me something into my canula. I was sick a little which is an odd experience with no feeling in your stomach but after that I felt much better and was fine for the rest of the op. Don't worry ..... it's no where near as bad as morning sickness!

• I had an emcs and I wasn't sick during or after - I lost quite a lot of blood and had low blood pressure and yet I didn't feel sick. I had DD on Sunday at 4 am but hadn't eaten since Friday lunchtime, so it may be why I felt fine.
  • Thank you ladies,

Really does seem to vary and a lot seem to be low blood pressure.

I can go from 6/7pm at night till mid afternoon the next day with out eating as have been used to this most of my time with work schedules so maybe i'll be ok.

I'm seeing the Paediotricians (sp?) on Tuesday as my consultant appointment yesterday said they were looking at delivering me w/c 20th Feb (least i'll be 37 weeks then so baby is less likely to need any extra care)

xx
  • I felt very sick towards the end of the surgery, but they gave me an anti sickness injection and that worked, I'd just tell them that you're very anxious about being sick, and i'm sure they'll have the drugs ready!-x-