Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

advice and tips for VBAC would be lovely...?

Hi,

I have just had my 20 week scan and consultant app, they would advise to try for a VBAC which I would like to try if i can.

However... with my first baby I felt totally relaxed about natural birth then it all happened suddenly that I needed a c-section. I didn't go into labour, 4 weeks early she was just whipped out (for reasons I won't go into as was a bit scary).

Now with this 2nd baby I am a million times more nervous.

I am guessing as I didn't have a labour that this birth will be like a first birth, so will be longer etc. I am so nervous about it failing then needing a crash c-section. And am nervous about the placenta not coming away properly then having to be rushed to theatre. Does anyone know how likely this is? is it silly of me to worry about that?

I just feel really nervous.

any tips or advice for how I can best prepare my body for a natural birth would be welcome

x :? image

Replies

• i am also hoping for a vbac, sounds like you might find speaking to one of the midwife councilers at the hospital useful, they can go through what happened last time and help you plan this birth, i did loabour with my LO but ended up with a section, so will be folling this one x
  • I had a successful VBAC last May and it was amazing.

DD1 was an em c-sec due to featal distress and it happened so quickly (she was born 15 minutes after they pulled the crash bell in the labour suite) that I was left totally distressed and had flash backs for months. I had been all geared for a relaxed labour.

Anyhoo, when I found out I was pregnant with DD2 I went for a de-briefing with a senior midwife who went through my notes with me and explained a lot of things that were never explained at the time. This helped a lot. I sat and sobbed with the poor woman for an hour!

My consultant was very keen on a VBAC. I agreed with him that I wasn't to be induced (increases the risk of scar rupture as far as i'm aware) and was therefore booked for a section at 10 days over due. I also stated that I wanted an epidural asap as I was so freaked out about missing the birth again by being knocked out.

It never got that far! DD2 was born on just gas and air plus some local anaesthetic down below because she needed a ventouse. I honestly thought I would freak out but I was really calm. I was 8-9cm dilated by the time I got to the hospital, which I think really helped.

I wrote a nice birth plan which was never really read because I was so far alone when I was admitted but other than the epidural part, it was exactly as I had planned.

It is perfectly natural to be worried and even up to a week before she was born I wanted to change my mind but hubby wouldn't let me! The recovery time is so different between a section and vaginal birth and I think DD1 benefitted from the fact that I was up and about and she could climb into bed with me for a cuddle with out me worrying about my scar.

Although saying that I think that I certainly wouldn't have beaten myself up like I did the first time if I had to have another section.

Good luck and relax.

Serena X
  • thanks so much, that was really reassuring to read.

i too had a little bit of post traumatic stress after my daughters birth and i think that has made me so much more anxious this time round.

My next question is how do I get to talk to a senior midwife? do i have to request that support or do i ask at my next midwife app?

thanks in advance for replies, I am a very nervous mummy to be! xxx
  • My visit was in fact arranged by a woman visiting the sure start centre. She was on some kind of patient panel trying to improve maternity services in my local hospital as it had a brand new state of the art unit but a bad reputation so no one wanted to go there!

Try your midwife, if no luck try going through the Patient Advisory Liason Service (PALS) at the hospital. They should be able to help sort our a meeting

Serena x
  • Forgot to add, being a VBAC means you are pretty much strapped to a monitor for what feels like all the time. Just be prepared for that.

Also you will be so closely monitored as you are now classed as high risk. If they think ANYTHING may be going wrong or not as they would like, they will be straight on it.

Because DD2 was stuck, the midwife was constantly in discussion with the registrar (who had to go to theatre for another patient so got called away). So they then went straight to the consultant on call who delivered her with a ventouse. I felt so well looked after. Not like last time where I was left for what felt like hours. I also had a student midwife there which was brilliant. If they ask if a student can join you then say yes. Even if they dont do anything they are someone else to reassure you and monitor you,

Serena X
  • Hi ! I had a VBAC 4 years ago (2007) after an emergancy c section with my DD in 2004.Lets just say I got to 9cm with her and nothing else happened. With my VBAC I went along to classes which were really good.They treat you almost like a first timer but with a lot more info added so you know the risks involved.Ask if they do them at your hospital.I didn't go in with any preconceived ideas, just that I didn't want another section unless me & baby were in danger...even if I begged (& I did!).I wanted to stay away from as much painrelief other than gas & air unless I really couldn't take the pain anymore.Luckly my DH knew when enough was enough for me.I had 2 really good midwives, one of which stayed with me to the end eventhough her shift had finished.My advice is listen to your body, get as much info as you can and go for it ! I was really proud of myself when I delivered my DS..felt like Rocky reaching the top of the steps!!! If it doesn't go to plan & you do need another section, don't beat yourself up...you gave it your best shot.At the end of the day as long as your both safe & well, thats all that matters.Good Luck x image
  • Hi I Had A VBAC In August Last Year As I Had Emergency C-section In 09 With My First Due To Fetal Distress I Was Induced The Day Before And Didnt Progress I Didnt Even Dilate And Because Of That They Couldnt Check Her Oxygen So Ended In EMCS Anyway When I Was 40+3 I Started Having Braxton Hicks Which I Thought Was Labour As I Didnt Know What To Expect So I Went To The Hospital They Checked Me On The Monitor And Gave Me A Sweep The Night After My Waters Broke And I Went Into Labour So I Went To The Hospital They Put Me On The Monitor And Told Me I Was In Labour They Took Me Off And That Was It I Never Had To Go Back On They Told Me I Didnt Have Any Problems With My Scar And Everything Was Well And It Was Quite Quick Too From My Waters Breaking As That Was When I Went Into Proper Labour It Was 7hrs 15mins An Now Im Due To Have VBAC2 In July Hope This Helps Be Positive About It And You Should Be Fine image X x P.s Was The Best Experience Ever image
  • Thanks for the replies.

I am still very nervous. i asked my midwife about any councilling type things they offer and in derby city it is only one woman and she is on long term sick leave. My midwife suggested talking through my worries at my next consultant appointment which I will do.

I will also keep popping on here and voicing my worries as ladies on here seem so great at replying with honest supportive answers.

I have also spoken to a few freinds who have had natural births to get more advice on that, i don't know anyone who has had a VBAC (I am a younger mummy I guess at 29yrs old).

thanks again for help x
  • Roo85,

You are the first person that i have known to have gone through what i have! With my first born i had a c-section without feeling anything related to pregnancy. I had no morning sickness, which i know people would say was a god send but i have nothing in respect of the birth either. I dont know what contractions are like, waters breaking etc and i suffered there after with a little post natal depression.

The whole experience really did put everything on hold for us for a while and that was all 7 years ago. We are TTC this month and although we are excited i am so nervous about what will happen this time around. I so long for a natural VBAC but didnt know if i could however is seems that many women are advised to try if possible which is reassuring for me.

I hope everything does go well for you, i know exactly how you feel. xxxx