Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Driving after c section

Can anyone confirm how long you have to wait until you can drive after a c section? Midwife says 6 wks but my friend drove after 2 wks as her baby was in scbu & she needed to drive to visit her. It's 3 wks since mine, my insurance co. are happy as soon as Drs say so. Husband works away a lot so really need to be able to get to a shop at least.

Anyone help? x

Replies

• i waited 6 weeks

you need to be able to perform an emergency stop safely which i didnt feel i could with the pain i was in that early, i wasnt insured until my check with the GP which was at 6 weeks so i drove following that, you could always get a doctors note to send to the insurace if you feel able to before then?
  • 6 weeks, unless u see ur doc prior and they give u the all clear and the insurance are happy with that
  • I phoned my insurance company at about 4 weeks as I felt fine. They said that as long as the doctor / midwife was happy with my recovery then it was fine. I didn't need to get a letter or anything, just started driving again that day x
  • Ssme as Kaycee for me, about 4 1/2 weeks and insurance comp happy as long as health prof happy. Worth ringing insurance as not all say 6 weeks/docs note etc xxx
  • KayeCee_And_Co and MrsHx - did you then see or speak to your midwife/Dr after speaking to your insurance company?

My insurance company say that they are happy as long as my Dr is happy, but my midwife says they won't say they are happy for me to drive until 6 weeks as this is just the bog standard recovery time after a c section...... I'm healing well, not had any problems so can't see why I can't drive?? Seem to be going around in circles! x
  • No, I didn't. I'd already had my usual check ups with midwife and knew that there were no problems (no infections, no scar probs, etc). That's really annoying. Could you go and see your GP? S/he might just check you over and say okay as opposed just going off the recommended guidelines.

Good luck x