Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

midwife led unit?

Hi Ladies

i'm 28 weeks pregnant with my 1st baby and i'm currently a low risk, my midwife suggested me look into a midwife led unit as i'm low risk. i went to few it this week and its amazing! its like home from home. has anyone given birth at these centres? and what do you think?

I just have a few questions .... do you give birth to the plancenta natuarlly at these centres? or do you get the injection to speed the placenta out? do they clean up the baby e.g clean their air ways after they are born? i'm a rare blood group too and will they check the babys blood at this unit and give me my anti d injection?

Thank you for reading my post, sorry for lots of questions. look forward to hearing your replies xx

Many Thanks xx

Replies

• 37 + 3 and due to go into an mlu, so looking forward to it.

u always have option with placenta where ever u give birth but they will offer u the injection.

when u go through your birth plan with midwife she will ask if u want baby delivered straight on to you or whether u want it cleaned up first, if baby needs it doing then they will clear the airway.

i wouldnt know about rare blood group bit and anti d. i would imagine they would as your midwife wouldnt have suggested the unit to u unless she was certain.

i cant remember if they test babys blood or if that is done at 5 day heel prick test.

good luck xxx
  • I had both my girls in a MLU and it was fantastic, i delevered the planceta myself but they give you the option and can give your anti-d, not sure about checking the babys blood, its not routinely done wither in hospital or MLU and neither is sucking out babys mouth etc unless they are struggling to breath and MLU can do this. x