Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

VBAC appointment on Tuesday, what will happen?

Hi Ladies,

(also posted in Pregnancy)

Can anyone let me know what will happen at my VBAC appointment next week? I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks in advance!

xx

Replies

• Sorry I don't know, but would be interested to hear would it be OK if you came back on afterwards and told us about it? Tell me to mind my own if you want! :lol:

xx
  • how did it go if you don't mind me asking? my next app is on the 9th May. I'd love to know what to expect?
  • Hi Ladies,

Of course I dont mind sharing!

My appointment was with a consultant midwife who sat us down and asked me to go through why I had a section last time (breech baby). Then she asked me what my thoughts are on this birth and I told her that we are swaying towards a section as my DS was pretty big for my size so chances are this one will be too, also I have pretty bad SPD, and my main worry is that I might attempt a VBAC and end up with a section anyway.

She briefly went through the risks of another section to make sure I understood them - basically it sounds like a slight increased risk for the 2nd one compared to the 1st and she gave us some information on the success rates of a VBAC, which are about 90% success for the category I fall into.

Then she said that if we want a section, it will be classed as "maternal choice" as for me there is no medical reason right now why I should have a section. She said that she would support me in that choice but that I shouldnt close my mind to a VBAC just yet and to see how I feel as I head towards 36 weeks.

So, all in all, I was reassured that we will be allowed to choose either way, her outlook was very positive. I was expecting a much harder time for some reason... but there was nothing to worry about.

My advice would be to collect your thoughts before hand on what you want and why, once our lady seemed happy we had thought about it, she was very agreeable and supportive.

I hope you ladies have the same experience and would love to share your thoughts on whether you are going to go for a VBAC or not.

xxx
  • Thanks for sharing,

I have my app on the 9th. I'd really like to try for a VBAC, because with having my toddler, I'd love to be more mobile etc after the birth. However I am utterly petrified of trying and it ending in an emergency c-sec.

My friend had a planned c-sec for her 2nd and said it was such a wonderful experience.

Such tricky decisions. Nice to know your midwife sounded very supportive either way. That must make you feel more relaxed about it all
  • Thanks for telling us about it! Sounds like a good midwife you got image

so was it a 90% VBAC success rate just because the previous one was for breech? Or were there other factors taken into consideration as well? My c-sec was for breech, and I'm keen on the idea of VBAC so it's quite encouraging to see that 90%!!

MAJ x
  • Hi MummyAJ,

Have just reread the stuff she gave me and it gives the stats like this:

75% VBAC success rate in women with straightforward pregnancy and sponteneous onset of labour.

90% VBAC success rate in women with straightforward pregnancy and sponteneous onset of labour and who have experienced a previous vaginal birth.

So it looks like i fall into the first category - which is still a pretty high success rate. It also seems like its more about this pregnancy than the last one as long as this one has been uncomplicated...

xxx