Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Experiences of induction

Hi there, I'm currently 41+2, and I'm being induced on Saturday if baby hasn't made an appearance by then. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of induction, good/bad that they would be willing to share? I'm quite scared that it will fail and I'll end up with a c section! So just after other peoples experiences for reassurance and for preparation! Thank you xxxxxxx

Replies

• Largely it'll all depend on how you're being induced. I ended up being given a drip to assist in strengthening my contractions with my 1st pregnancy as I had a very long labour and was tiring. It did help provide the extra push I needed to get baby out, the only side effect is nausea and vomiting.
  • I was induced with dd1, be prepared for it to take a while, it can be quite tedious. I would suggest take a book/magazines and music.

Good luck
  • I was induced with DS as had high bp.

I had the gel. Was given at 3.30pm & contractions started 3 hours later, very intense & full on. Had c-section following evening as they decided he was back to back & I wasnt progressing past 7-8cm.

Good luck, remember every experience is different & try to stay open minded was the best thing I done as birth experience was far from what I had expected!.x

Just seen the date you posted so you've already had baby. Hope all went well x

• I was induced at 39+2 because of polyhydramnios. It was an emergency induction so had my waters broken in theatre and was put on very high oxytocin drip straight away so the pain was quite intense. However induction carried out because of being overdue is generally a much slower, more relaxed process. Take books and expect it to take a few days (you won't be getting strong copntractions throughout).

H xx
  • Has anyone else got any more experiences. Im 38 weeks today and my consultant told me he will book me in to be induced between 40 and 41 weeks. Mine is also due to high blood pressure. I would prefer it happened naturally at least that way im at home for the first part of labour. Im sure knowing that im going to be induced on a certain day will make my BP go up???
  • I have a positive induction story. I was induced due to PE and was given 2 rounds of pessaries. The first did little, the second put me into full contractions - a little intense but 5 hours later I delivered naturally a beautiful baby girl.

The only pain relief was gas and air. I was scared as had heard some bad stories but can honestly say my induction at 39 +2 was very positive.

My second labour was natural and although it took all day for the pain to equal what the second pessary achieved I wouldn't say overall it was more painful as was labouring all day and so tiring. The intense pain was shorter however but this was my second birth.

I am just pregnant with number 3 and WOULDN'T be scared now if they said they wanted to do an induction but this is just my experience and opinion.

PS -Would recommend a TENS machine and arnica tablets all the way - it DEF helped.

Good luck ladies. x
  • SORRY - Just re read post and noticed I said I would be scared to be induced. I WOULDN"T and have edited it but just incase someone read before changed. xx