Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

feeling the odds are stacked against me... :-(

Hi,

I am having a low day today, probably hormones. Am feeling like the odds of a successful VBAC are stacked against me. I know it is 70% success rates however I just haven't heard of that many successful ones, only a handful. PLus my consultant was very 'straight down the line' as such and just didn't fill me with confidence, if baby is in any distress at any point during labour of course they will whip him out (I absolutely understand this one), if I don't go into labour naturally by 40 weeks they will whip it out (will not induce me), if I don't dilate properly/quick enough they will whip him out and if I need to push for longer than an hour (which I have heard from loads of people isn't very long for pushing stage) they will whip him out.

I want a healthy baby so I utterly am going to listen and follow dr advice, I just feel really blue when I hear so many successful natural labours and feel like my body is letting me down before it is even had a go....

sorry for the moan, just feeling a bit worried about it all but yet can't control what happens. I need to chill out a bit!!!

thanks for listening, not sure there is any advice out there but if you have got any words of wisdom please share!

Replies

• I know how you feel, I am also wanting a VBAC, and was actually feeling very positive about it, until I read the literature my MW gave me! I just feel that the more stressed out you are in labour, the less successful you will be, and all the regulations surrounding VBAC's seem to me to make for a more stressful situation. Everything that would make me more comfortable like moving around, changing positions, water birth, even a home birth are all definite no-no's! I will have to lie on the bed and be monitored continuosly, with limited movement! It's juat making me worry unnecessarily!

Anyway, I've rambled on quite a bit about my situation...sorry, but I just really wanted to say that I know how you feel, and just wish it would be a straightforward process.

Jo xx
  • i'm with your there, i feel the chances are so slim!
  • Hi ladies - I'm not pregnnat again but like to keep an eye on this forum as I'm keen to try VBAC.

I had a follow up with my consultant a few months after Aila was born as there were quite a few problems surrounding care. I asked him about my options for next time and he was realy quite positive about VBAC (although Aila was breech so if that happened again it would straight to section) have you tried asking for another midwife / consultant to talk to?
  • Hi all,

I have been feeling really down about the whole thing too and was thinking i was going to just get a section booked in and be done with it! especially after seeing the consultant who didnt give me the time of day re vbacs!

Anyway with this being baby no3, and after getting talked into a elective section with baby no2 (when i was 2 days over, if only i had stuck to my guns then)I feel a bit more confident with saying what I want this time so I told my midwife i was not going to see the consultant again as it was a waste of time and quite frankly she was rude!!

Anyway my midwife (being keen for me to try for a vbac) booked me an appointment with the consultant midwife.

She was FAB....she sat and went through my labour notes when from my first DD (emergency section) and oh my, i could have sworn i remembered the goings on of that day but i was so wrong!!

I always thought i had emergency because of fetal distress and failure to progress, now i remembered being 9cm and trying to push at about 6pm....then doc decided baby was too distressed and as i wasnt there yet it was a section...........but from having my waters broke at 7:30 am (i was induced) i got to 9cm by 2pm and there it stopped untill the doc examined me at 6:30 and said i was 8-9cm!! so i went so fast then stopped!

So on my notes it says failure to progress, but they dont change it depending on what they find in theatre, turns out my litle un (well 9lb 1oz so not so little lol) had started to turn as she came down and then got stuck sideways, preventing her from descending in turn no pressure on my cervix ment no more dialating.

I always blamed my epidural for slowing me down...which i thought i had about 4pm, but turns out i only managed till 11:30 am before i requested one lol :lol:

and went on to 9cm really quickly after it all..........

Anyways sorry i rambled on a bit there but just wanted to say i was doubting myself and my body mainly due to the fact that there ws no reassurance or back up off any one and whilst my midwife is great it always just seemed to be a "ye course you can do it..no harm in trying anyway" where as i just needed a bit of explaining!

I am all back on track now, feeling like there is no reason I wont have a natural birth, i am booking a section for 1 week over, but hopefully bubs will be here by then!

So ladies have a word with your midwife and see if you can go talk to the consultant midwife who will look at your previous birth and get the real picture!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US XXXXX
  • Thanks for all your lovely supportive replies, I know I have to just wait and see what happens. I just feel a little down about it and really nervous. I keep hearing lovely natural birth stories and feel so envious (and of course incredibly proud of my friends who have done it), and then feel all sad when other people say how 'lucky' I was having a c-section and "if only you knew how painful it was to do it naturally you'd be so pleased you had a section".... not exactly how I would put it... just makes me sad and how my body has 'failed'.... so silly I know. I have a gorgeous happy little girl who is perfectly healthy. I should feel proud too!

good luck to you all too who are out there wanting to have a go!!! xxx
  • PMA ladies!

I had a VBAC just over a year ago with DD2 after DD1 was born via EMC (I was knocked out as she was a category 1 for foetal distress).

The Drs really keep a close eye on you during a VBAC and they are really quick to act if something goes wrong. I had a section booked for 10 days over as I declined an induction. The consultant also booked me in for a sweep on my due date (our local hospital is very pro active in reducing section rates). It never got to that point mind you as I gave birth to DD2 the day before her due date, 24 hours after my waters had broken. She was a ventouse delivery as she was rather stuck and I had only had gas and air and some local anaesthetic injected into my bits (nice) as I didn't want and pethidine and it was all to quick for an epidural (I was 8-9cm by the time I got to hospital, which is amazing as I got to 8cm when it all kicked off with dd1 and I was whisked to theatre)

Its bloody scary in the run up to the big day but I was so focused on breathing through the pain I was surprisingly calm, I think I only shouted at the Dr once to 'GET IT OUT OF ME!!' Lol

Good luck X