Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

PLEASE NEED SUGGESTIONS! overdue/ have spd need baby out!!!!!!!!!

hi im 40+3 or 41+2 weeks depending on which due date you go by as midwifes etc not exactly sure. baby has been engaged for about a month now and he really doesnt want to come out. i have spd with this pregnancy and have been put on 3hrs min bed rest per day. which makes things hard as i have a 6yr old daughter. i have had a membrane sweep which was done yesterday and so far nothing has happened. im booked in this friday to see consultant about being induced but i really dont want to be induced. ive tried the old wives tales of eating curry, the raspberry tea, pineapple, clary sage in the bath going up and down stairs sideways, walking down the road with one foot on pavement and one on road but nothing. i know sex is supposed to work but its so painful. any suggestions im open too. also has anyone had a membrane sweep before and did it eventually work for u? any ideas?????????? anyone..............

Replies

• Am with u there, am 41 weeks and tried EVERYTHING!! Been engaged a month and all signs sayI shld have gone by now :roll: . Made myself so sick eating too much pineapple :roll: . Have resigned to be induced, I'm so favourable MW has said they'll put the hormone in and baby should pop out!! So I'm not too miffed. Had my second sweep today and nothing has happened, had a sweep at 40 weeks and that at least got rid of my plug, but this second one, nothin'!

This IS my first, loadsa other ladies say they go into labour after sweeps when it's their second, so it may tip you over, good luck!! Induction isn't so scary as they gradually give you the hormone now rather than a sudden POW of hormones, my MW described it as "like a thin tampon" today x
  • i feel for you. I'm 40+6 and had my MS yesterday, My MW said she don't think it would work but you never know. Had a bit of back pains today, been having a hot bath every night, walking loads and eating spicey foods although i have decided that i am going to just let baby tell me when he's ready. i have a date for induction on wednesday and i'm just glad that the ends in sight. just focus on the fact that soon you'll be meeting your baby! xx
  • You could try reflexology - once you are overdue some practitioners will use a technique called 'priming' which can start you off but only if your body is ready.

I tried this at 40 +2 with my 2nd (I'd been having reflexology throughout my pg for various niggles) and was told that if it was going to work it would do so within 24 hours. That was at 4pm on the Saturday and by 4pm on Sunday I was in labour. Might be a coincidence but worth a try!

Liz