Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Stitches versus staples

I'm scheduled for a csection in 2 weeks time, and have been pulling together a csec birth plan. I've read that you can either have stitches or staples as part of the operation. Does anyone have any experiences of either?

I'm a bit confused as to what the pros and cons of each method are!

Thanks x

Replies

• Hi,

I have no experience of both but I had dissolvable stitches and they left a very neat scar and it didn't ever feel overly tight or restrictive in the first few days.

My obstetrician only works with dissolvable stitches.

• I can only say what I had which was like a long nylon stitch (I still have it!) with a ballbearing (!) on each end! It was pulled out by the midwife on day 5 or 10 (I forget which) and it was brilliant - I healed perfectly x
  • I had the same as KayCee_and_Co. Its brilliant, was very impressed with it all! Came out very easily, and left almost no sign of a scar, have to really look closely for a very thin silvery line!!! And I had no problems with healing! At our local hospital, it depends what surgeon performs your c-section as to what kind of stitches or staples you get. Had I my consultant I would have got staples, but with having an emergency section, he wasn't on call that day!

Jo xx
  • I would definitley ask for stiches. I actually had steri strips on the outside and dissolvables on the inside. I am 4 weeks post CS today and all seems to be healing great!
  • oops double x
  • its usually consultant preference and most prefer stitches as its neater, i had stiches and have a very neat scar x
  • I had staples with my EMCS and i healed really well and can now hardly see my scar at all! x
  • I had dissolvable stiches too (emCS, so little choice!) I healed very quickly (Out within 36 hours, back to normal after 2 weeks). I had no problems with the scar, and the midwives always said that it looked very neat. It is still purple though after almost a year, not sure whether it will disappear.
  • i had a runig suture with my first (emcs) ad the dissolvable stitches with my second (elcs)... my cosultat ad mws all said though (as i had specified in birthpla for no2) that it's totally up to the surgeon as it depeds on the state of ur prevbious scar tissue ad what they think is best for u etc... incidently, i did't otice ay differece betwee suture or dissolvable, except was nice ot to have themremoved at 5 days lol, but apparantly some surgeons are reluctant rto use dissolvagble ad all staff said i was lucky i got them xx