Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Any Positive Induction Stories?

Hi Ladies

Well I was due with my first baby on 3rd July, so currently just over a week overdue. Aggghhh

If nothing kicks off soon, I am booked in for an induction on Thurs/Fri of this week and I'm a bit anxious to say the least.

I know what happens, but I have no idea of what it will all feel like, how long it takes etc etc, so any advice most welcome if any of you have been through the same.

Many thanks,

Zxx

Replies

• Only just seen this so sorry if I'm a bit late in replying! I was induced in March when I was 12 days overdue and it was absolutely fine.

I had the tablet put in about midnight on the Thursday night and then another one around 8am on the Friday morning. My contractions started about 8.30am and were very mild, but were quite strong by about lunchtime. They examined me and said I was 4cm so could go down to the delivery ward and when I got there said I was only 1cm but they let me stay there anyway as they weren't busy. They broke my waters at around 6pm (had gas and air for that bit as it doesn't half make your eyes water!) and then my contractions got stronger. I was lucky in that I didn't need a drip to speed the contractions up, although they were considering it. Harry arrived at 11.40pm, safe and well. He is my first baby so I wasn't sure what to expect at all but it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.

Obviously it hurt but I managed with just gas and air and I am a massive wimp usually. I had a second degree tear so it was a bit on the sore side for a while afterwards but the whole experience honestly wasn't that bad. They put in my notes that my labour was 5 hours 47 mins (although I beg to differ!) but they only count from when you are 4cm dilated.

I lost quite a lot of blood and had to go on a drip after I had him and then iron tablets for a month. I was petrified of being induced as people had told me the contractions are more painful (everyone seemed to have a "helpful" labour horror story for me!) but as I don't have anything to compare them to then I don't know if it's more painful than not being induced!

I found the worst thing was not knowing how long it would be before the baby arrived, so I kept asking the midwives what time they thought I would have the baby. Not sure why I thought they would know any more than me!

Hope that helps, if you have any questions just ask! And try not to worry, easier said than done I know.

xxx