Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

PPH? and then trying again?

I had a PPH with my 2nd baby, I'm guessing because he was so big and my labour was so quick.... The midwives never discussed what would happen if I went on to have other babies. I am not pregnant now but thinking of trying sometime in the next couple of months. I'm obviously very frightened of the birth experience as labour itself was perfect and then it quickly changed to being horrific and then followed a threatened hysterectomy and a day in intensive care the very thought scares me... Has anyone gone through the same thing? :? x

Replies

• Hi,

Don't know what PPH is but didn't want to read and run.

I know that each labour is different so unless your problems in labour were something they were able to identify i.e. a medical condition, there's no guarantee that it would happen again.

My first dd was 5 weeks prem but second was born at 38 weeks for example. I realise it's prob not the same but I would suggest speaking to doctor or asking to see health visitor. (They're trained as midwives first so have plenty of experience.)

They might also be able to get hold of your notes so could give a better explanation of what happened or point you in the direction of someone (consultant or doctor) who could explain more. I do know that if you have problems in birth that the next time they are good at following up and making sure that they monitor any possible problems.

Hope this helps.

Sx
  • Hi i had a PPH,a small tear to a main vein, the tear was that small that it tuk them a bit to find it, i even started to panic thinkin they wud have to operate to look inside to see if it was comin from there!! but luckily they found it!! i lost over a litre of blood from that tiny tear on a main vein! i became very anaemic n had to have a blood transfusion the next day, i was on it for 7 hours! i wander if im goin to tear again n will they struggle to find it again if its the same tear that splits! im 10 weeks pregnant tomoz so ive been a little worried recently too lol!x x
  • me too! we want to try again for number 2 next year and I'm scred as I had PPH and shoulder dystocia with my first son. very worried and not sure who to ask? just thought i'd let you know you are not alone, please update if you get an answer x x x
  • Hi ladies when i went for my scan the other day the consultant discussed my grade 2 tear that i had with my last birth and she sed that every pregnancy is different and the chances of it happening again are low and they will probably put me on a drip to help or something! I was worried too but hopefully the ladies right! x x
  • Hi, I also had PPH with my son and am really worried it will happen again. I know it probably won't but I'm giving birth in a new area this time around and they don't have my notes or anything from last labour, I just want to know they are aware of what happened last time image

I think we just need to discuss this with the midwife and mention it also when you get to the hospital ready to give birth.

Good luck ladies x
  • Thank you for all your replies... (and sorry for the late response)...it just shows what a frightening experience PPH is!

I have just found out I am pregnant and have a midwife appointment the end of next month...I guess I'll have to discuss all aspects with her. I know I'll be classed as "High" risk... but other then that I know nothing at the moment. I will keep you updated image xxx
  • I had a PPH after i had my son 2 years ago.. I lost 2.5 litres of blood and almost didn't make it..

I'm now trying for baby number 2 though and i'm not sure if i'll have another PPH but just have to keep fingers crossed that it doesn't..

Congratulations on your pregnancy image fingers crossed for a great pregnancy and a smooth birth xxx
  • hey lovely ladies! i had PPH with my first baby and after being told over and over that this time i have to have iv lines in and active third stage management. i then did research after being told i was going to hose blood by the back up midwife and found out that active third stage in first births can also cause PPH. so now im worried due in less than a week and not sure whether to go with active third stage or not!