Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Will I be allowed elective C-Section 2nd time around??

Hello everyone, I am new to this site!

I am pregnant with my 2nd child, and although I have about 7 more months to go, I wondered about my options?

For my first birth, I was going the epidural route - until all hell broke loose and my little bubbas heart rate dropped to almost nothing. Due to this, I had the worst case scenario C-Section - a Crash caesarean - more critical than an emergency section (As you are usually still awake for this) I was completely knocked out under general aneasthetic, & my baby was born in just under 7 minutes, I wasn't concious to hear or see my baby for the first time, and didnt get to hold him for 3 hours while I was in recovery, no skin on skin, no private time with him & my husband.

At the time, I just felt lucky and blessed that we were both ok, obvs not ideal scenario but coulnd't be helped as he had his cord wrapped tightly around his neck and body. But as time has gone on (he is 2 and a half now) I have found myself thinking about it more, and starting to cry if I see it happen to anyone else on programmes like 'One Born Every Minute'!! I did have some PND, and found it very hard adjusting to becoming a mum - and I feel this was down to the fact I had no connection between being in labour, and seeing my baby delivered. It was just - here is your baby while I was out of it on Morphine!!

I have seen my GP, who advised that I would be given the choice due to the nature of my first delivery, plus he said that as I have had a c-section already, when I do go into labouor if I choose V-bac then the midwife will be on more of an alert for anything to go wrong with my scar rupturing, and be more quick to intervene so I could end up with a c-section anyway!

I am fully aware of what a c-section involves, recovery times etc but just feel I do not in any way even want the slightest chance to miss the moment this baby is born, like I missed last time.

I live in kent, and would have to attend the William Harvey Hospital - just wondered if anyone has any recent experience of their policies on elective c-sections, as opinions of different hospitals seems to vary greatly!!

Thanks for your help, any advice/knowledge would be helpful!! Thanks xxxx

Replies

• Sorry it was so traumatic but at least you're both OK now.

Thankfully, I haven't had a similar experience but my midwives were really supportive about whatever I wanted to do - both before (in Folkestone) and at the hospital (WHH). I would discuss with your midwife and if there's any problems you can ask to be given another midwife or consultant. Just keep asking is my advice! They might even suggest it because of what happened before.

Hope it goes well.

Sx
  • Hi,

I am sorry to hear that your birth went not as intended.

In regards to having a second c-section ..... no hospital can deny you the right to a second as a previous section is a valid medical reason for a second elective section

• I was in a similar situation when i had my daughter, but went through an emergency section. I too found the experience distressing but like you was just glad she was ok and didn't ask any questions as i just wanted to go home!!

It wasn't until we started having people ask 'when are you having another' that the whole experience came crashing home!!

I started sufferring nightmares (where my little one didn't make it etc) and i ended up telling my husband that i didn't think i could face another pregnancy.

4 years on and i decided i needed answers as to why i had been sent for an emergency. My GP couldn't answer my questions so reffered me back to my consultant. That was in May, i had gone there with the intention of saying we would like to start ttc but broke down (due to hormones and morning sickness) and told her i was 7 weeks pregnant and scared of another awful labour of which i had no control!

My consultant was amazing and said that due to how id been effected (mental more than anything) that it was of opinion i should have an elective!! I immediatley agreed and she told me i would be consultant lead through this pregnancy!

I am now 22 weeks and am enjoying this pregnancy so much.

My suggestion is that when you attened clinic tell them how you were affected, and don't hold back any emotion!! Tell them that you want a postive experience and to hold your baby without being clouded with drugs!!

I hope you manage to get an elective and that you too have an enjoyable pregnancy and birth this time!! image

Good luck, let us know how you get on!!

x x
  • I had a natural birth with DD which ended up with me losing a lot of blood with a third degree tear so this time around I was offered an elec c-sec (although I have chosen to brave the devil I know route). Generally if you discuss your past experience, the concerns and upsets you had with it and what you would like to happen this time around, you will get the support of your GP and MW. It is you giving birth and you should always have the option of doing so in your chosen manner.
  • hi, there, i'm just up the road from u and had both my children at qeqm, so the same nhs trust... i had emcs with ds, not on the same scale as urs, i was awake etc, and originally booked for vbac with my dd, but changed my mind as couldn't face the thought of being stuck to those monitors throughout again, so i had an elcs, it was a bit of a fight, but that'sd only cos i had originally said vbac... we're currently in margate, but moving over to ashford in the new year, so if we're lucky enough to have a third that will be at wh, still don't know if would be vba2c or elcs as last baby, so makes it trickier still... all the best, any questions please ask, and feel free to read through my topics about it... remember it's ur choice, they can't force u one way or the other... alspo re ur pnd... are u sure it's pnd not post traumatic stress? i was diagnosed with pnd by gp, but after some counselling at qeqm (sandra lawrence) i was diagnosed with ptsd, the trauma of the birth, but because baby related gp just said pnd, which was wrong. hth and good luck xx
  • Thanks for all your replies ladies!

Well I have since met with my midwife, and she said in no uncertain terms, that it is ultimately MY decision, which has really made me relax about the whole thing! I have to go to a VBAC counselling session, and see a consultant later in the pregnancy where they get out my old notes and apparently determine whether I could birth my baby naturally - which isn't really the issue, it's not like I had failure to progress or anything. I know I could do it if I wanted to go down that route - but like my midwife agreed, unless you have a crystal ball, the only way to gaurantee not missing the birth of this baby is for an elective CS. She also said that with a VBAC, they will only let you be in established labour for 8 hours anyway, which is not a very long time really, before then probably taking you in for a c-section anyway!!

I am pleased though, that it sounds like I going to be given the choice, not bullied into one or the other.

I will let you know how I get on!!

Thanks again xx
  • Glad to hear your midwife is on your side!! thats always a good start!

I hope your further appointments go well and you get to your own choice!!

good luck and happy pregnancy x x