Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Elective C.Section Question

Anyone know what week they tend to perform an elective C.Section? Is it week 38?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows!!! image

Replies

• Wish it was where i live! It's 39 weeks at my hospital but that falls on a Sat for me so I am having to wait until 39+2! That said, I have a friend in a different area who just had one due to a breech baby and hers was at 38 weeks exactly x
  • I was just about to ask the same question, i think i was told i would get a date at 36 wks. When im 38 wks it will be a thursday (3 days after our daughters 5th birthday, which would make for an interesting week!!!) I wonder if it depends on how your pregnancy has been and generally how many other sections are to be done??? Mmmm :?

x x
  • Thanks girls,

oh my goodness if it gets to 39 weeks I'd be so worried if I went into normal labour..what happens then???

Jus another thing to worry about then image
  • The first signs of labour and they take you in to do a cesarean. Obviously isn't as fraught as an emergency cesarean as there would still be time to compose yourself.

Very exciting to be able to do a proper countdown to when they actually will arrive though! Only 27 weeks and 2 days for us!

• I had mine at 38+2 weeks
  • It is exciting pudding!!! image I hope mine is in the round about 38 weeks mark like yours RS240508!!!
  • I did ask my consultant what happens if I go into labour and they said if I got to the hospital and I was nearly or fully dilated, they would urge me to try a VBAC but otherwise would just do a csec but classed as an emergency. I guess your reasons for having a csec would influence this as well x
  • the earliest my hospital do electives is 39weeks, as that allows two weeks to make sure ur not prem, as in theory u could only be 37 weeks, iyswim? x
  • i have mine booked for the 20th Sept i will be 39 week 2 days as my babys breach..i think some places may do them at 38 though
  • Oh right so I guess its quite probable it will be 39 weeks then image Oh my goodness I'll be petrified I go into labour before the day its booked for...knowing my usual luck it will be the night before or something!!!
  • Hi ladies sorry im g/c from DIN,i might have to have a planned c-section will find out after my growth scan in two weeks.Just wondering does it depend on the reason youre having the section as to when they would do it?The reason i might need one is due to complications at the birth of my dd,she was quite a big baby and had what they call shoulder dystocia so there making sure it doesnt happen again and if the scan shows baby is going to be bigger than my dd theyl do a c-section or if he's not too much bigger they may induce me early?Im jut wondering how theyl plan when there going to do this?As i too would be worried about going into labour naturaly if it was decided baby was too big to be delivered normaly!Sorry,got so many questions!Tia if anyone replys image x
  • at my last hospital appointment i heard them booking someone in at 39 +5 i nearly flipped, although i was told they only leave it that late if they really dont agree. they better agree to mine or i will be seriously worried, ds came on his due date.
  • Hi Ladies

Just to let you know, i had an elective booked 5 weeks ago for when I was 39 + 2. They only book ELCS at my hospital after 39 weeks to minimise breathing difficulties in newborn. Mine was because of a previous emergency c section due to baby getting stuck because she was big (10lb 8oz) and growth scans were showing this one to be big too (she was 9lb 5oz so would have been the same as her sister if gone to same gestation!)

Anyway, what I wanted to say was I did go into labour before the planned section..... 4hours before! but it was fast and furious and I went into the hospital, was put on a monitor, waters went with a bang and they took me straight through. Although classed as an emergency, it was so calm and an absolutely positive experience. I would go so far as to say i loved every minute of it! (except for the contractions which were a killer and not what I bargained for!)

Best of luck to all xx
  • Ah well thats more like it radrosh..a nice positive story image

SWEET JESUS sally 39+ 5!!!! image