Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Consultant led v midwife led

Hello

I had my first baby by emergency c section due to failure to progress and the baby being in distress.

I am now pregnant again, due in May, will I autmatically have consultant led care? How manay times am I likely to have to see the consultant?

Replies

• My local unit is consultant led, so all mums-to-be have a consultant who we see the dating scan, but then we are put under midwife care. I am high risk due to my previous emergency section, so will see my consultant again at 34 weeks for my VBAC appointment! I think it varies form area to area, but unless I want an elective c-section, these are the only two times I will see my consultant, I plan on having a VBAC, and if that ends in another emergency section I'll be seen by whoever is available on the day! HTH

Jo xx
  • i am an emergency one with my first and saw a consultant at 14 weeks to discuss my options then again at 36 weeks to decide what to do, all other care was from my community midwife, that is standard at my hospital but i have heard of other hospitals doing it differently,