Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

37 weeks, period like pains and discharge

Hiya,

All morning and for sometime this afternoon I've had crampy, period like pains. They have been mostly irregular and I had a lump of mucous (about the size of a finger nail) at lunch (sorry for tmi!)

I rang my midwife who said the cervix is effacing and to just keep an eye and as long as the bay was still moving about, then its ok.

But after a stroll this afternoon they stopped. I'm a first timer and I was wondering, does this mean that labour is imminent?

Thanks

Replies

• hiya, just from past experience-

I started the night before-big clearout from bowels TMI lol, then just a restless night sleep. Next day was at our carnival in town, all day a horrible achy back tummy, needed to sit all the time lots of pressure down below. This was all day, just felt so uncomfortable, then at 10pm i needed the toilet, when i went, big blob/mucusy pink when i wiped, walked back up to meet partner then there was a big trickle all down my lovely WHITE linens..then as soon as my waters went i was having regular pains. The achy pain was almost constant to begin with but then they did come and go after a while but i just didnt think anything of it as i was 37+1. But baby was born 3.01am that night.

Losing mucus plug is usually a sign but can be a while before labour starts, time your pains if you can and go from there..ring midwife she will tell you best but good luck and put your hospital bag near the door image xx
  • Hi,

From past experience.

I had a "show" the mucus 1 week before i went into labour. I kept expecting to go into labour immediately but didnt happen. I was getting back ache and period like pains all week. I went to work on this particular morning, i just felt like a had an achy tummy.. and like the baby was stretching alot. Its was only half way through the day that my mother got all excited and said "i didnt like to say anything but i think your in slow labour". I didnt believe her so carried on. I went home from work, cooked, cleaned, did my ironing, still with tummy ache. It got to 10pm and the pains started getting stronger.. but my waters hadnt broke. So took paracemtamol and had a bath. It eased the pain alittle, but not much.

I went to bed to try and get some sleep but only last about half an hour before pains got pretty bad. Phoned the maternity unit who told me to come in (midnight).

The pains had completely stopped by the time i got to the hospital.. but luckily on examination i was (only) 3cm. It didnt take long for the pains to get back up to speed...

Baby arrived at 9.40am. I wont give you anymore details than that.. i dont want to put you off in any way because everyone is different. Will say epidurals are an amzing invention !! image

Thought i'd share this as it may become familiar.

Good Luck xx
  • Having been through it twice now, you can lose your mucus plug in one big go or in lots of tiny blobs from hours to days before labour actually starts. The period like pains will need to intensify into regular contractions that will literally leave you breathless lasting a good 60-90secs and coming every 3-5mins before it will be deemed 'active' labour and the delivery team will take a real interest. Your waters may not break until well into labour so don't wait for that to happen (if your like me it'll mean your ready to push!!!) Alas BH feel a lot like the real thing in the last few weeks so try not to time every little niggle or you'll drive yourself nuts. Lastly, I hope you're not too far off and wish you all the best of luck
  • I was in slow labour for about 10 days and I too had crampy pains and discharge. Every night I went to bed thinking 'this is it, i'll be woken up by contractions and i'll have my baby soon!'. Only every morning I ended up waking up without having gone into labour! I had a sweep at 40+5 and that kicked everything off. My mucas plug came away in big globby lumps and there was no denying what it was, where as with the discharge I had experienced before hand it was a case of 'could it be? im not sure' xxx
  • Thanks for the replies girls. Im still pregnant. Have had a few twinges since thursday, but not a sausage. I've got my 38 week appointment on wednesday, am hoping she say something encouraging!

Im really big and everyone has said they think I'll go early and so its in my head now unfortunately! Must focus on other things!

Thanks again

Gem
  • Everyone said they thought I would go early too because I was so low, but Phoebe had other ideas! I ended up going over by a week. If you do get to 40 weeks and your midwife offers you a sweep then I would suggest you go for it. I had the same twingy pains and the midwife said that was a good sign that labour was on its way. When she did the sweep I was already 2cm dialated! People will tell you that sweeps rarely work but thats only if you havent started to dialate. If you have, which it sounds like your body is working on, then it has a really high chance of kicking pabout off xx
  • im 38 weeks tomorrow, ive had a feeling these past few days like its on its way, feelings of bladder getting sharp pain then subsiding after few sec all the time for an hour each time, little back ache, period achyness, belly going hard then soft then hard then soft.

im not fed up of being pregnant i could carry on forever, butr i just wana be a mum and see my little bundle of joy hold him in my arms.

• H ladies, 

I'm nearly 37 weeks with my first baby so I tend to worry at the slightest things. I've been getting this period like mucus discharge when I wipe after I've been to the toilet. It started last night but only a tiny bit, this morning however it was a blob. Not bright red more like brown. I'm guessing its the 'show' i did call my midwife and she also said it sounds like the show and if its not bright red blood like a cut on your finger then its nothing to worry about. Baby's been moving about and i have a few achy pains but nothing bad at all. Should i get checked out anyway or am i being paranoid?x

• Defo sounds like you're having the show - there might be loads more to come - i had my show after having a sweep, and it was never ending, and very, very, thick, gooey and snotty. Browny stuff - not like a period but EWM, just thicker! Sorry if TMI, but hang in there - the finish line is so near!

• Ok, and thanks for the heads up haha I thought I was just being paranoid image

• Dear friends online, my name is Ibolo, I have to give this miraculous testimony, which is so unbelievable until now. I had a problem with my Ex husband 2years ago, which lead to our break up. when he broke up with me, i was not my self again, i felt so empty inside me, my love and financial situation became worst, until a close friend of mine (Angela) told me about a spell caster who helped her in the same problem too his name is Dr Ogbe.So i emailed him theangelsofsolution@outlook.com the spell caster and i told him my problem and i did what he asked of me, to cut the long story short. Before i knew what was happening my husband gave me a call and told me that he was coming back to me in just 2days and was so happy to have him back to me. We have two kids together and we are happy with ourselves. Thanks to Dr Ogbe for saving my relationship and for also saving others own too. continue your good work, If you are interested to contact him and testify this blessings like me. If you are going through hard life and you need help in problems such as:

(1) If you want your ex back
    (2) if you always have bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) If you want a child.
    (5) Herbal care
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) Let people obey your words and do your wish
    (10) Case solve E.T.C

INFORMATION NEEDED BY HIM TO PROCEED:

Full Name_________
    Contact number_________
    Country & State_________
    Date of birth__________
    Picture_________
    Phone number_________

Contact him on his email again on (theangelsofsolution@outlook.com) and be blessed...

• Ibolo shut up your stupid mouth! Fraudster like u!