Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Low placenta at 34 weeks=C-section?

Hi ladies, I'm starting to worry a bit and would love to hear your experiences/thoughts. I had a scan at 34 weeks to check position of placenta, it's still low but not completely cervix. I have been booked for another scan at 36 weeks, but midwife didn't seem too hopeful that it would move anymore and mentioned a section at 37/38weeks. Has anyone been through this or had their placenta moved? :? image

Replies

• Options
    Hi, didn't want to read and run but have to say that my placenta was low at 12wks but had moved to middle of my back by 20wks (wish I could say how quickly it moved but alas didn't have any checks imbetween). On a plus note, a planned section is usually a lot less stressful than an emergency one and almost everyone I know who has experienced an elective c-sec has said it was a pleasant experience. Best wishes and good luck whatever happens.
  • Options
    Hi, I was told I had low lying placenta at my 20 week scan recently. They said that I would, like you need a rescan. I just wanted to say not to worry about having a section. I had an emergency one with DD and all in all it was a positive experience, to the point where I am opting for an elective this time. Try not to worry, but I hope it does move for you n the mean time so you get the birth you desire,x
  • Options
    I had a c section due to placenta preavia. It was actually a lovely birth experience, I was chilled out, and relaxed (as much as possible). I was laughing with the theatre crew and we were singing to the radio, I wasn't stressed due to a long labour, or knocked out for an emergency and I got to hold my baby girl immediately (albeit it a wierd upside down position!)

If it hasn't moved now, its not very likely too, but it depends on how much its covering... you have a final couple of weeks to hope it moves up!

My consultant wanted to admit me after my 36 week scan, but he agreed to let me home because I lived within a ten minute drive, but be prepared for strict instructions of rest and any sign of bleeding to go straight in. I was almost fully covered, or grade 4 I think).

Best bet now is try not to worry about it, and do lots of resting and relaxing, and be assured that a planned C section is not a bad thing, yes you miss out on the pushing a baby out, but it is absolutely no comparison to ensuring you and baby are safe and well.

Now, go get your feet up x
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies ladies, you've all been a great help and im staring to relax a bit about having a section. still a bit nervous but just got to wait and see what wednesday brings. no good worrying about things that i cant change! thanks again.xx image
  • Options
    I had a low lying placenta at 34 weeks scan. I was in the hospital because of a bleeding. I been there for 2 weeks and had more 2 bleedings. Yesterday I had my 36 weeks scan and my placenta now is anterior not low, it moved up away from the os 5 cm. I was send home and I am very happy. I will have a c section now at 38 weeks because I had 2 previous one. Good luck for you and believe for God nothing is impossible. Relax and try not be so worry about it. Rest when possible and hopefully everything will be all right.