Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

'Clearout' before Labour

Hi ladies. Just wondered if anyone has experienced or heard of anyone having a 'clearout of their bowels' (sorry tmi!!) before labour? x

Replies

• the day i went into labour i went to the loo loads. not a runny tummy but just frequently. i didnt realise this was what was going on until afterwards though, just didnt occur to me that id be going into labour that day even though i was 2 days past my due date.
  • I went during labour. About 5 hours in, My waters brooke as i got off the bed to go to the loo, then i went to toilet and had my baby and hour later image, so glad as i was scared i might go during childbirth, which is also common i hear

x x
  • Yes, it is common to have either constipation or diarrhoea with the onset of labour as it is the same set of muscles being used to push baby down and out (hence why you are often told to imagine your having the biggest poo ever).
  • oh yes. i had a mega clearout for about a day and half before i went into labour.
  • I had terrible diarrhoea in early labour, just after my waters broke and before I went to hospital. Glad I managed to be at home and on the loo though!