Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Obstetric cholestasis anyone?

Hi,

We went though a nightmare 36 hour induced labour resukting in emcs after being diagnosed with OC. Is there anyone else in the same boat???

I'm trying to come to terms with what happened and what it means for future pregnancies.

Also hoping to speak to someone at the hospital to go through it all.

Replies

• Hi, I haven't been on this website for a long time but I saw your post when browsing and thought I'd reply as This my third time with Oc! Just thought I'd share my experiences. I am 32 weeks pregnant with my third baby and all three times I got OC. With my first (she is now 5) I started itching at 32 weeks and my liver levels and bile acids went up very high, the itching was a bloody nightmare! I was induced at 37 weeks and had a long but normal delivery. My levels went back to normal after birth. With my second (she is almost 3) I started itching at 28 weeks and my levels again went really high and I was kept in hospital a couple of times so they could keep an eye on me, i was induced at 36 weeks that time, I had a long but normal delivery again but had a post partum Hemorrhage which resulted in me taken to theatre minutes after my daughter was born to have the placenta removed, I had to have two blood transfusions and was animic for a while. They did not say that this had anything to with my OC but i know that it can be a side effect of OC but they don't really know enough about it I don't think to know for sure. I had blood tests in 2010 (i wasn't pregnant) because I was feeling unwell and itching and my liver levels did come back higher than normal but they soon went back down again. I think since having my youngest my liver levels go up and down and even when I'm not pregnant I seem to have days when I'm really itchy, I don't think it's anything to worry about but again just a side effect. Now I'm 32 weeks pregnant and I have OC again my levels have been rising since I was 26 weeks but slowly. But last week they doubled from my previous high result (still not as high as when I was pregnant with the girls) and I was told I would not go any further than 37 weeks. The itching has got worse since last week, it's awful to be honest and I'm not really sleeping at all and itching all the time! I would say that OC is awful because of the itching and once you've had it once u have a very high chance of getting it again. The way your labour went may or may not have had anything to do with the OC so don't worry about it happening that way for future babies as OC doesn't mean your labour will always be awful. They are very good at keeping an eye on you especially when u have a history of OC, if u have more babies they should book u in to see a consultant around 28-32 weeks automatically when u first see a midwife at in the early stages like they did with me. it may be different in different areas but I wouldn't have thought so to be honest. I have always been well looked after by the hospital and midwives because I have OC, I just don't think they know enough about the side effects on us or our babies and so they will always take this very seriously and you should always be kept an eye on from about 26 weeks even if the itching isn't bad as it always rises towards the end and they know that. Please don't worry about future babies and births, I know what you went through was traumatic and it took me a while to get over being taken away from my youngest for 3 hours to go to theatre but you do move on from it and if you are struggling please speak to your health visitor because just talking to someone can help. As I have said this is my third baby in 5 years and OC obviously hasn't put me off and although OC is horrible I dont worry about it at all because I know all the signs and I know that any doctor or midwife will take this extremely seriously because they have to!! look after yourself and I hope you have been able to move on from your labour and enjoy your baby....

Also I am sorry I know your original post was in November but as I said I don't come on here now but I have subscribed to this thread so if u reply I will know and reply back to u. I hope this eases your mind a bit but sorry if it hasn't helped. image
  • Hi Tuliprose,

My LO was born in August 2011. I was induced at 38weeks with OC which I developed at 36 weeks but wasn't diagnosed until 37. It was a fast and furious labour which involved me abandoning most of my birth plan & having the epidural I so badly did not want. That said I look at my beautiful boy & know I would go through it again tomorrow. It makes me sad sometimes that I am unlikely to ever experience naturally going into labour.

I hope things are going well for you now & you feel you have come to terms more with your experiences.

Linds
  • Hello to you both,

Thank you so much for replying - it means a lot to hear from real people who have/are going through OC and the resultant effect on labour.

I actually think there were a number of factors affecting our bad labour:

1 - the OC itching had me incredibly tired and poorly (actually felt quite ill at the end)

2 - because I didn't know I was ill i didn't rest enough and was pure exhausted when the induction started. With hindsight I would have said to them to let me rest for 24 hours in hospital before starting the induction.

3 - my son's head was large and got stuck

I think I will need to make sure I'm ready for all the additional monitoring etc and worry as last time we weren't diagnosed until 39 weeks so avoided this until the day of the induction.

If I can see it as a good thing and extra appointments etc as a chance to see/know my baby is ok then I think it will be better. But of course its going to have an impact on us all (including my son) if I get OC again and probably even if I don't a little. I'm told its an 80% chance of recurrence.

I also have the added issue that having had a c section i can elect to have one again with or without oc but if I get OC my midwife told me it would be a c section at 37 weeks or earlier if my bile acids are too high. But this would be a balancing act of baby's pregression vs OC risk of course.

They won't induce me again because of having the caesarean.

Vikki - Thanks for sharing your experiences. You sound like a bit of an expert. I hope this pregnancy isn't too bad for you and the itching subsides. I found baths/showers and ice packs helped most but others have said wearing gloves can help you itch without damaging your skin too much?

Linds - I know what you mean about being sad. I really wanted a water birth but sadly this won't be if we get oc again. Although there is a chance I won't so perhaps its possible.

I hope if you are pg again it is OC free.

I contacted the hospital and they were great. They are recalling my notes and someone will go through them with me. Apparently they will see who they think is best to go through it all. Hoping it'll help.

I just feel so jealous of others with non-oc labours (even though I know they're all hard) and so robbed of having my water birth and a labour where I'm not petrified about my baby's health. Going into a normal labour would be great too but in some ways I did get to 10cm, 3 hours pushing until he was 1cm from crowning etc so I got some of it. Hey...all the tricky bits without the joy of seeing him actually born! :roll:
  • Well I had OC too! I started being ichy about34 weeks and did not think anything of it until I was constantly scratching and eying every piece of furniture up as a scratching post. I found out I OC at 37 weeks and was induced the next day. I had an intense 24 hour labour of which half of it involved contractions every min. My son's head was in the 97th percentile so he got stuck too and I ended up having forceps to get him out as his heart rate plummeted. During which they managed to crack my coccyx!

I am now 10 weeks pg with number 2 and go for my booking in appointment next week. I have been told by my GP that I will be consultant led this time to keep an eye on my liver. I so hope I do not get it again!
  • Hi Muffin34,

I too hope you do not get it this time around! At least you will be closely monitored. I was under a consultant first time anyway so was able to discuss the OC & induction plan with them once I was diagnosed. Good luck image
  • hi image

im sorry the reply is abit late, but ive only just found the fantastic site and as i was browsing i saw this post and read your stories, so wanted to share my own.

Ive had cholestasis in both of my pregnancies, but it was alot worse with my first born. I was diagnosed with it at about 27-28 weeks preganant, i had no idea what it was, but my lovely consultant explained what it was and that my acid levels were out the roof, so i would need a blood test and scan every week, until i was 38 weeks and then they would either induce me or book me for section.

However at my 30 week scan and blood test, i wasnt very well. the scan was fine and the blood test was taken, then i went to see the consultant, himself and the midwife he had in the room, took my blood pressure and temperature etc....then suddenly i was sick, it was bright yellow and my consultant said it smelt like orange acid :/

They made the decision to rush me over to lincoln hospital, we live in grantham, so was about 45 mins drive away....they sent me in an ambulance (because that was protocall, apparently). When i arrived i was checked over, had another scan and another few blood tests and told to wait.

after a few hours i was called to see the doctor and he said that my acid and bile levels were very very high, even higher then before, however they didnt want me to give birth yet, as they wanted my daughters lungs to develop better. So they had to admit me and check on me everyday, giving me a scan every other day. I had no idea at the time but i would end up being in the hospital until i gave birth and 36+6 weeks pregnant. 6 weeks i had to stay there!

Every week i got worse and worse, eventually i couldnt eat and had to be put on a drip, i couldnt even walk to the toilet properly on my own as it made me feel sick and i was so weak from not eating image

finally week i was 36 weeks pregnant my consultant came to me and told me that they were going to try and induce me using the gel, but if that didnt work they had me booked in for a section the following day...thankfully the gel worked on its 2nd load, and my waters broke that night, i had no problems during the labour, at all. Except feeling sick abit due to the gas and air lol. My daughter was born the following morning at exactually 7am.

I had to stay in for a few days after the birth, but after 24 hours my acid and bile levels returned to virtually normal and i went home....with no lasting effects imageimage

xxx

• I since discovered that my labour was also back to back.  Joy!

Very nervous about a second baby but we are starting to get broody.  Just not sure the effect it could have on ds if I am poorly earlier etc.

• Hi ladies,

I wondered if anyone still reads this one?

I am 35 weeks with my second and for about 10 days had itching which feels very familiar.

However it's very intermittent and manageable in the day and at night I have been given piriton which allows me to sleep thankfully. So bit suffering too badly aside from worrying if it's back or not !?

It feels like the right type of itch but it isn't as severe as last time. I am wondering if this is because last time I wouldn't have turned a hair until it was awful and I'm more onto the symptoms this time and also because I don't remember the gradual build up of itch last time for this reason?

Of course I may just avoid it.

Being tested weekly how which is ace so I will report back but last lt were only at 5.

It's doing my head in wondering because we would have a c section at 37 weeks. Last time it was all delayed so we sort of knew what was coming and I was 40 weeks so didn't have weeks to wonder etc
  • Hi Ladies, 

I had this itchiness all over my body since I was 12 months pregnant. I have mentioned this to my MW, she said that OC normally occurs later in pregnancy. But it is still bugging me. I went to my GP yesterday and they are going to take some blood tests on Monday. Anybody had the same experience and is it OC? Thank you! 

• Not sure if people are still following this...

I've been diagnosed with OC at 34weeks... I've been told if my results go any higher I'll be called in to be induced within the week.

What results were people getting... I was told the ATL should be below 31... mine was 688 then 793 the next day! And the Bile acid should be below 14, mine was 73 then 45...

I've been told to wait till a consultant appointment I already had where I'll be 37+3... I am having weekly monitoring visits to the hospital.

I've also been told that I could go into early labour- was anyone else told this?...

Worried now I'll be told on that day- its happening the next day... looks like most of the people on here were given a day or 2 notice...

• Hi, I had OC in my first pregnancy with a bile acid level of 135. It was such an awful experience, the thought of getting it again is putting me off having anymore children! I appreciate everyone's experiences are different, but can anybody tell me their experiences with subsequent pregnancies please? Did you get it again and, if so, was it worse or more manageable and did the itchiness start earlier or later?

Many thanks in advance :)

• Hi ladies, this is my 5th pregnancy, i am nearly 25 weeks, i had cholestasis in my 3rd pregnancy and noticed the itching at around 28 weeks but wasnt diagnosed until around 32 weeks when the itching was unbearable and keeping me up at night. I was induced at 38 weeks. 

However i had no itching with pregnancies 1, 2 or 4. This time round ive noticed the itching again started off with the odd itch now and then at around 18 weeks. Spoke to my midwife the other day at my 24 week appointment. She said 24 weeks is a bit early to have cholestasis but was sent for bloods anyway. 

I have been told to try and keep as cool as possible (not easy with it being the start of summer and what have you) and also if im still itching in a week to contact the assessment unit again to get another blood test done. They have said they will be checking my bloods regular anyway and keeping a close eye on the results.

My point to this long post is yes they say once you have suffered with cholestasis once you are more likely to get it in every pregnancy but its not 100%. I have only had cholestasis with my little girls not with my 3 boys xx

• Thanks Stace M, I really appreciate your reply. It's interesting you say that, as I had a daughter when I got it! I feel for you at the moment and hope things improve. 

• Thank you ross2017, its funny because i was told it was more common with boys. Its just really annoying when it stops you from sleeping and being able to relax properly xx