Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

VBAC after 2 sections anybody?

i have had 2 emergency sections, one due to failed forcepts and one due to fetal distress during VBAC, i was told following my last delivery that i would be advised to have a section with my next child, i am still gutted that i have failed to have a baby naturally, just wondered if anyone had a successful vabc following 2 sections?

Replies

• Hey Piggypops

Sorry you ended up with a section for your second one. I remember being on here about a year ago and you talking about wanting a vbac.

I don't personally know anyone who has had a vbac after 2 sections, but have read numerous birth stories from women who have had vbac after up to 4 c sections, so it is definitely possible.

Can I be nosey and ask - during your attempted vbac was your labour induced / augmented in anyway? I'm pregnant again and hoping for a vbac, and have been reading up and it seems that vbac labours can naturally take longer, and that can make hospital staff twitchy so there is a tendency for intervention which can then have a knock on effect. I'm seriously tempted to go for a home birth so I can just get on with my own thing and let my body take the time it needs, might even consider an independent midwife if I can't get an NHS one to support me. Will see what happens at booking though.

Hope you're OK and recovering well from the section, and enjoying your little princess image

xxx
  • thanx for the reply, my recovery this time was acctually pretty quick, i came home the second day and was driving within 4 weeks.

my labour started after a second sweep after 3 weeks of slow labour! my waters broke on exam at the hospital when i was 4cm, unfortunatly her heartrate was really fast and they wouldnt risk my labour progressing, if she wasnt in distress i may have been able to have her vaginally as things were moving well?

i would think you would have a fight on your hands for a home birth although i was told i could stay at home as long as i felt comfortable unless my waters broke. as VBAC are more risky they like you to be near a theatre, there was some thought that i was onthe verge of rupture but on opening my scar was ok.

hope all goes well and you get the birth you want!
  • personally my VBAC was actually my quickest labour at just 1hr 51mins, my waters had broke by themselves the day before and i then went into labour by myself the following day.

i have heard of people having VBACS after several sections, infact there is one woman near me, she had 5 sections, then had a normal birth, then shes just had her 7th, tried for a VBAC, failed (down to fetal distress and nothing to do with previous sections) and had to have the emcs, which actually threatened her life as they aren't too keen in people having more than 3 sections, the hospital advised her to go for a normal birth as a 6th caesarean carried more than 3 times the risks, but little man had other plans xx
  • Hi Pippypops

I am hoping for a vbac following an emcs with my dd who is nearly three.Whilst I am hopeful and positive for a successful vbac and the birth I want I also know that the threshold for sections on vbac ladies at my hospital is about 37%. Whereas first time mums its 24%, and goes even higher when the mother has been induced. The trouble is that as the pp said hospitals are a bit twitchy with vbac ladies and I think can/ will intervene possibly too early or when things dont progress as they 'should'. I have been told that I will have no longer that 1 hour from full dialation toget the baby is born, or its section time and I will be terribly disspointed, especially after all that hard work image

But in answer to your question I know a lady who had 2 sections, 1 vbac and 1 hbac! So it is possible. She had a very understanding midwife and also a doula who she says helped her immensely.

Good luck and I hope you get the birth you want x
  • Hi, just wanted to point out that you should be making the decisions and the medical staff is there to assist you. That is the law! If you want a vbac then insist on one and they have to accommodate and advise you accordingly. Obviously I'm not saying go against medical advice if there is a good reason for a c/section, but it is your body and your baby. Surely there are many women who have had successful vbac's after 2 or more sections. Good Luck!
  • Hi I have had 2 vbacs following 2 sections although I did have 2 normal births previously. I had a normal birth with no1 c section due to a low placenta no2 successful vbac no3 c section because of a suspected hernia which turned out to be a harmless lump with no4. I really felt pushed into that so when I was expecting no5 I was determined to have a vbac. The midwives were very supportive the consultant and other doctors not very.When I went overdue (8 days) the doctors who scanned me tried to say I would have to have a section.They called the consultant who was lovely and said she would leave me an extra week and I had my daughter a few hours later. Although the registrar on the labour ward made them attach me to a monitor during labour so I wasn't able to move around much which slowed labour down. They were not so concerned when I was expecting no6 as I had done it before. I was determined not to be monitored continuously again and stayed at home as long as possible with my tens machine. I ended up giving birth in the mau (maternal assessment unit) 30 minutes after arriving at hospital with no time for pain relief and no tear. I am currently expecting no7 in July and here is no reason why I can't have a normal birth. HTH
  • thanx ladies, still pondering no3! good luck with no7 earthmama!