Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Using a birthing pool at home

I am thinking of trying a home birth this time around and would really like to buy/hire a pool. I spoke to my midwife who is all for it and very supportive but said that I will need to check if my boiler is suitable. How will I know if it is or not? I had never heard of it before she mentioned it but I guess it makes total sense. Something to do with the boiler being able to keep up with the big and constant need of hot water.

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun

I don't know enough about boilers etc, but I was just wondering if these guys can give you a better idea what is required:

www.dorsethomebirth.co.uk

01305 268096

I had their flyer in my bounty pack from the midwife and as I recall you live in Weymouth too?

They run monthly meeting in Dorchester too.

If we didn't live in a flat I would probably consider it much more. Instead I'll be hoping the pool at the hospital is free (and of course that I'll be actually allowed to use it this time!).

• Options
    Thanks spring. I had that flyer too but had completely forgotten about it.

I do live in Weymouth too. To be honest not sure I can imagine having a home birth but also know so many people sue in June I am worried the pool won't be free at the hospital and I would be gutted.

Was lucky last time cos there was only me and two other ladies in and they had both had their babies.
  • Options
    Due in June, stupid iPad
  • Options
    Not sure how you check but its definetely worth finding out, we ran out of hot water whilst filling the pool and OH was boiling kettles/pans on the hob etc and pouring them in the pool whilst I was pushing. We've since moved and this post has reminded me that I need to check so Thank you! x
  • Options
    The pool was actually free when I was there, but as my waters broke they had meconium in them so wasn't allowed so we could be monitored... Would very much love it this time and told my hubby to make it happen!!! :lol:

• Options
    may land up having to fight you for it :lol:
  • Options
    i dont think i can manage a pool at home due to my hot water being a bit rubbish, heats up fine but takes a while to refill etc.

also i am concerned how to get rid of the water after lol, i dont have a big garden!

i may use my bath instead.
  • Options
    We hired a birth pool in a box and it was great. We didn't have any issues filling it as our water is gas heated and draining it is easy, with a suction hose thingy that goes down the sink/bath slowly.

I can't remember the company that rented us ours but I will ahve a route around and see if I can find the details.x
  • Options
    Just thought about this thread again...

Was speaking to the midwife on Wednesday and they actually have a room at the hospital where they can fill up a birthing pool (other than the 1 they have there permanently) so I can seriously considering hiring a pool for ??30 and taking it with me! It'll just be my luck that I'll get to the hospital and the actual pool they have will be in use (according to the midwife very unlikely...) and I won't be too upset about wasting ??30 if things turn out differently.