Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Water birth?

after watching lots of OBEM (which is very dangerous when your pg!) ive noticed the ones who have water birth seem a lot calmer and so do the babies.

Anyone got any experience or know the downsides? im lucky that our local maternity ward in a cottage hospital has a pool!

Ta girlies image

Replies

• Hi dippyrowse, I had a water birth with my daughter in May and it was such an amazing experience, it was my first baby so I haven't got anything to compare it to but I hardly had any gas and air because the water was enough. It was very calm and the midwife allowed me to do what felt right, my husband even delivered her image
  • I had a water birth with my son and it was amazing. I felt very relaxed and needed no gas and air or anything (that is not to say that it didn't bloody hurt more than anything I have ever experienced though) the whole thing was very calm and I would have been able to catch him myself but he got stuck and was very tangled in his cord so minor panic at the end. He was also back to back which nobody noticed till crowning. No tears either. It was my first so no comparison I'm afraid.

I loved it and will be gutted if I can't have one this time around.

Tips would be have a small fan and a cold flannel because they have to keep the pool at a certain temp and towards the end it did feel very very hot.
  • thanks ladies image you're making me want it eeeeven more now!!

it'll be my first too so also nothing to compare it to and at the moment, 5 1/2 weeks gone, im terrified but excited at the same time!!

Hubby is worried that the hospital with the pool doesnt have any doctors only midwives as its a cottage one. Did you need any docs? i dont want an epidural anyway or forceps if i can help it.
  • Hi, I am dead set on a water birth too, have been from day one as I am going to try and use minimal pain relief so the water is a good option. My local hospital has a midwife led unit so no ob/gyn's but if something happens there is another ward and most likely same for you, they would transport you somewhere close by, ask the question for reassurance.
  • I bled a lot after having my daughter do I had to be transferred from the midwife led unit to the delivery suit (which was just the floor below) my midwife explained that if I had a home birth they would have just transferred me to hospital. Just ask the question for reassurance, I can't recommend a water birth enough, and found the midwife led environment really calming. I have also been told despite the bleeding I could use the midwife led unit for future pregnancies which is good ????????
  • I would recommend a waterbirth, i had the best experience with my daughter and i would do it all again. i didnt want to be in an enviroment where i could hear other ladies screaming. i was placed in my own room and hubby got to stay the night because they have double beds and they only take up to three women at a time. All i used was gas and air whilst being in the water and the best thing about it is that i only had a very minor tear which didn't need sticting up, which was somthing i was dreading. All in all a good calmful experience.
  • Dippyrowse, I really hope you will get a chance to try a birth pool! I've been a doula and hypnobirthing teacher for 8 years plus and it makes such a difference!

Some tips -

- Try to keep the pool " in reserve" or for late in labour (6cm +), or it can slow things down in a way you don't want

- Don't stay in for more than about 90 mins - if you've been in for longer than that again it can slow things down so get out, get dry, march about for a bit and then get back iin (unless you're having the baby by then of course...)

- Tell partner to pack a swimming cossie!

- lastly, if you aren't relaxing the pool can only help so much, and IMHO it is WELL worth doing some type of hypnobirthing preparation. www.BirthHypnosis.net