Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

advice please!!!

I just wondered if there are any ladies on here who went for a VBAC following an emergency c section due to baby being stuck? with dd I had opted for water birth and just gas and air, got fully dilated relatively quickly for 1st baby pushed for 2 hours and there was no way she was coming out, her head hadnt come down any further apparently, so ended up being attached to strong drip to strengthen contractions(which were pretty powerful already) didnt have an impact, they attempted forceps in theatre but they said there was no way she was coming out that way!and ended up with an emergency c section. the whole experience was pretty traumatic, and im now 26.5 wks with baby 2, I have seen the consultant already who has advised a planned c section, but feel a bit of a failure really! my instinct says that even though my dd wasnt big 8lb 6oz my second is likely to be bigger and then may have the same chance of getting stuck, so maybe opting for a c section maybe the best option...

Thats why I was hoping there may be someone on here with a similar experience who has gone on to have a second that could share their thoughts with me,

would be great if you could, Thanks for reading and sorry for the waffle!

Luc x

Replies

• Hi Hun,

I posted a link a few threads down which has lots of information about vbac's. You're well within your rights to ask for the birth you want! Vbac's are still less risky that repeat sections.

From what i've read it seems clincians like to give you two options; repeat section or vbac strapped down to a bed with continuous monitoring. The 'reason' for this is often because of the risk of your scar rupturing which can be fatal for both you and baby. However the chances of this happening are less than 1%. You're more likely to suffer placental abruption which all pregnant women are at risk of, yet they don't get all labouring women strapped down??

Research actually suggests that a repeat section is the most risky option simply because it is major surgery in itself!

My advice from what i can see on the net is to arm yourself with lots of information as to why, scientifically speaking, you know a vbac is the right choice for you. Don't back down, it's your birth and your choice! It seems it might also be best approaching a midwife for help too as they are trained with the mind set that birth is a natural experience and are more keen to get you having a vaginal delivery.

Good luck!

xx
  • Thanks Sharn2188,

Ive been searching for someone who has had a vbac after the baby was stuck in the pelvis, as I know there are a number of reasons why people have c sections, I could be wrong but I think fetal distress is 1 of the most common but could be wrong! which wouldnt necessariy be true for any future pregnancies, I have a couple of friends who are midwives so I think its time I picked their brains!

Thanks for getting back to me

Luc x
  • my first born was an EMSC due to be stuck. He was 7lb 13oz. 14 weeks ago, I gave birth to my 9lb 4oz baby girl, via a successful VBAC.Your body can do it hun, you just have to trust it. There is a fantastic support group on Facebook called VBAC support, who helped me tremendously, and they have so much info. x
  • By the way, you can refuse continuous monitoring. I opted for intermitent monitoring and an active labour. image
  • Thanks Blakey Blues mummy, thats great to hear! hope you are doing well! Luc x
  • Hi Luc, just found this and hadn't realised your emcsec was due to bubs getting stuck. The main ing I would do is speak to your mw and consultant about why your DD got stuck and was it just a one off fluke or if there is any chance of it recurring. I was very worried about that as I thought it may be down to the shape of my pelvis but after a detailed chat with a very supportive consultant she said that the chances of a problem are incredibly rare and usually only occur with very very petit women (5' and below). Key thing is to think about what you're most comfortable with. Don't let one consultant push you into a planned section if your mind isn't made up but equally if that's what you'll feel must comfortable with, then go with your instinct and don't feel like you have to try for a vbac that you feel isn't rig for you.

Xxx
  • Well said Feebs. At the end of the day hun, however your baby is born, as long as you are both healthy, then that is the main thing. x
  • Hey Feebs

Part of my problem is that I have moved now and I assumed my notes would be sent to the new hospital, but when I asked the consultant about my notes, he said it would be unlikely that they would receive my notes from when I had dd before the new arrival makes an appearance, so I am dealing with consultants that have no real knowledge of me or my last pregnancy. and no one discussed the birth with me afterwards and I wasnt really in the right place to be discussing it straight afterwards.(not that they tried to)

even at my booking appointment with the midwife she said that because I was failed forceps prior to the c section that the most likey recommendation would be to have a c section, I would have thought that my body was ideal for childbirth as have big hips (so you'd think bigger pelvis...but guess as there are 4 types of pelvis who knows which I have!)anyway Im rambling again...I have a scan on the 30th april due to placenta being low chances are it should have moved by then, and then I have the same date to see consultant as you feebs, so will speak to them then.

did you have failed forceps too? or did they go straight for c section?

blakey blues mummy did you have failed forceps too?

thanks for your help girls Luc x
  • I was straight into a C-section hun as they lost his heartbeat for a second and he passed meconium. x