Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Any water birth stories? :-)

Hi ladies,

The thought of a water birth is really appealing to me, i am reading The water birth book by Janet Balaskas, which is brilliant.

Anyone else thinking about having a water birth? Had a water birth? Or be able to share the pros and cons?

Thanks image

Replies

• I had a water birth - it was fab - managed to get to 6cm at home then got to midwife led unit and got into the pool and my son was born 2 hours later. I did have gas and air in the pool but I would def go for another water birth.

The nicest thing is I was able to hold him straight away with the cord still attached for about 10 mins x
  • Hi! I had a water birth last time and am hoping for another this time. It was great, I wasn't fiddled with in the water at all, but as soon as I was out to check dilation etc, there were hands all over me!! Def a pro to being in the water and left to get on with things! No cons as far as i experienced. It was great!
  • I had a water birth with ds2 and LOVED it - I got to the midwife led unit and got into the pool half an hour later, within another half an hour ds was born. I was able to float in between contractions and it felt totally comfortable and natural. I was never checked, just left to progress naturally although the midwife looked in the pool with a mirror. I would whole heartedly recommend a water birth!