Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Ladies in their second pregnancy worrying about birth second time around

I recently asked my midwife to get my birth notes from my first birth and put aside a double appointment for us to go through them. I didn't have to pay for the notes because I wasn't getting a copy of them, so it was free. And it helped so very much to spend an hour going them and asking millions of questions. I feel loads calmer about birth second time around now (currently 31 weeks with my second) and I feel I understand a lot more about what happened last time. My first birth story wasn't dreadful, but I did feel quite traumatised for a while afterwards, blamed myself for a lot of what in my mind "went wrong" and also felt a lot of anger. But I feel very differently now so thought I would mention this. It's worth asking, and for me it really made a difference.

Replies

• Thanks for that - we are TTC no.2 at the minute. And although I feel ok day to day about my birth now, it's really just because I don't think about it! I know when I do get PG it will weigh heavily on my mind again, so I'll take your advice when it happens.

Glad it has helped you image and good luck image x
  • Thank you for this. We are just about to start ttc no 2 - and whilst I don't consider it overly traumatic anymore - it isn't an experience I want to repeat - and ended in emcs. I'd love to try naturally but worry about whether my previous labour will repeat itself.

Thing is the maternity unit I gave birth in last time is now closed. . . presumably they would still have my notes though?

How long was it since your preious birth?

• Hi,

How did you get on?

I am looking into hypnobirthing for second time around.  Would be interested to hear if its worked for you?

x