Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Pain Relief Theory

Although I would describe giving birth as a near death experience I have to say I feel like I tried all sorts! My 1st was 20 days late and I was forced to have an epidural and I have to say in comparison to natural birth pain relief was a massive hindrance and delayed the entire process! Also recovery speed is reduced too. Natural birth allows the endorphins of love to be released whereas pain relief delays everything. If possible try and do it naturally. I would love to have another and I'm getting broody at the thought! Good luck to those expecting at the mo xxx

Replies

• I had gas and air for my first and pethidine when it got bad (had to be induced so extra painful!) but then Lauren came too fast after pethidine and was very mucusy and wouldnt feed.  Had gas and air with second and after about 8 hours asked for pethidine but the alexander rolled on his cord so had to make do! was painful but he wasnt as mucusy and fed better so it was definately better for him.  I did ask for an epidural at the end as they said i was only 6cm reckoned i would be there at least another 4 hours but anaethsatist was busy so couldnt have, good job cos 20 minutes later out he popped image