Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Recovery time after a section

Hello I had a section 2 weeks ago.  I feel a lot better and not in any pain, but when I went for a really short walk to the end of my street yeasterday I was aching abit.  How long di it take you to recover and be able to go for walks etc?  I feel frustrated as can't get out and about wiht my baby. x

Replies

• I suppose around 4-6 weeks to get back to some kind of normality but I recovered a lot quicker than my friend (she did have twins though!). I was driving after 4 weeks as Doc and Insurance company were happy with that. I was very very overweight back then though so I didn't do a huge amount of exercise. i have lost 8.5 stone since then and am a lot fitter so hoping for a VBAC next time so I can back to fitness etc quicker!

• You will still ache a while at first, it's a major operation after all! I too was driving at 4 weeks, and recovered really quickly, but i was in hospital for 8 days as Ryan needed a little extra care, so i was under enforced rest really!

Just take it easy, do a bit at a time and you will be back to normal in no time.

xxx

• it makes a big difference wether it was planned or emergency,

my first was a long recovery but i had an emergency after pushing took about 10 weeks to feel normal, my second was also emergency but at the start of labour so much better, i drove by 4 weeks and was back at zumba by 10, congratualtions x

• Firstly congratulations! I had an emergency section and it took me 6 weeks to feel back to normal. As frustrating as it is you have to do as little as possible I found as if I overdid it I suffered for days! I did get an infection though which set me back.

• Hi

I would say try to be patient.  Little and often is key.  It is better to go slower now so you will be recovered sooner rather than overdo it and end up not being right for a lot longer.

My experience was similar to piggypops in that I had emcs after induction, long labour, illness and 36 hours of labour.  It was at 10 weeks when I felt myself again.  I think you must listen to your body and really try to rest when you can x