Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Home birth?

I need a few scenarios of what could go wrong with a home birth (LOW RISK pregnancy). And also, if there is something i could do at home if there is no time to go to a hospital.

Contraception   

Replies

• If their is an emergency than call 911 for medical squad help..During the last weeks of of your due dates never be alone it you can need help anytime, If your partner isn't there with you, call a neighbor or nearby friend.

• My baby needed immediate intervention by a doctor when I was in labour. He would possibly have died if I'd been at home. Just wouldnt risk it. He was low risk and I was just about to deliver in birthing pool when hr dropped, he was stuck and needed out!

Don't want to scare u but these things happen x
  • My cousin opted for a birth in a small local hospital that didn't have the expertise and equipment for complications. (So a bit like a home birth).She had to be rushed to the main hospital because of complications and ended up having the baby in the waiting room. Everything turned out ok but labour is stressful enough without having to be rushed off in an ambulance in the middle of it.

If you want peace of mind, go for a hospital birth and go for a well equipped major hospital

• There are some many problems in Home birth:

1. If there is some complications in delivery then nobody or not an expert is there to handle pregnancy complictions.

2. If delivery is successful at home nobody is there to care for pregnant lady and newborn baby.

But it's ok if anyone got successfully, congrats to that risky mission and take some newborn gift packs for your lucky baby that will help you to cure newborn.

• Studies have actually shown that having babies at home is not a greater risk than having a baby in a hospital.

Hospital policies and procedures can actually be conducive to causing greater risks in pregnancies.

The biggest advice I would give is to have a talk with your midwife. Two community midwives are present at all home births and are trained in terms of complications. They are trained to see the signs early on and transfer/call for support if it's needed.

• I ended up having a home birth (although not planned) I was shocked that it took 45mins for the midwife to arrive! By the time she got to me it was all over and had to wait an hour sitting on my living room before she stitched me up! Not comfortable but thank god the paramedics were fantastic!!

• I've had a home birth and it was amazing!!!

• I wanted a home birth, had it all planned but when the time came I rang for a midwife and was told they were short staffed and I would have to go to the hospital. Had to rush about packing a bag etc while in labour. So I Didn't get the home birth I had planned for which was very disappointing.

This time I'm just opting to have baby at the hospitals birthing centre.