Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Help! Am i in labor?

Since last night, around after eastenders i got this feeling of being so uncomfortable, i went on my maternity ball to help but nothing would get rid of the pain, it then turned into cramps around half 9 ish so i took a bath but it didn't go away, i couldn't relax because of it. I had lower backache and what felt like constant menstrual pains, i didn't get much sleep because of the pains.

I still have the pains although there not that bad.. ( don't know if there easier to handle because i've got used to them). I keep having a sharp pain by my cervix and have most of the signs for early labour, but i have not lost my mucus plug, just lots of thick mucus disharge and i've got pink spotting in my underwear, not when i wipe. Sorry for TMI so early on in the morning!

Replies

• I would say there are definite signs of labour - when are you due?  My mucus plug didnt have obvious bloody specks through it, but that is supposed to be a sign also.  I done the same as you and had a bath etc, and it kind of eased off for a little while, but then it came back with a vengance. 

are you timing contractions? I'd keep an eye on how often the pains are coming - my started off really erratically, then started to get more regular......

Good luck if you are - I'd defo have it in mind if you are due. (but note that I went into prem labour without any warning, I was only 28w so it can happen early even if you're not due)

Good luck

Ann-Marie x

x

• I'm due on the 18'th which is next week, usually when i have bad backache i have a bath and it goes away, but i could still feel the pains in the bath for ages and it put me off so much. 

I'm not sure what to time, like i keep getting sharp pains for 5 seconds which i think is the baby moving downwards but it's more like a constant pain and i've now got pressure like i need a wee&the"twos", it's just that period type pain which is constant. 

Thank you for your help x

• you shoudl be timing every time you feel a pain coming on - so the cramp starts....gets sorer....then eases off.  When it's easing off - start timing again.  And keep doing this for a while - I'd be worried if they were a few minutes together. (just found this measurement on google:  Contractions that are 5 mins apart, consistently for one hour, lasting at least 1min in length are a sure sign of labour and should be thinking about heading to hospital)

Needing the toilet is another sign - about an hour before I had the baby, I really needed to go to the toilet - that's the baby putting pressure on your bits down below - I wasnt allowed to go in case I had the baby down the toilet.  Can you contact your midwife, I'd defo be calling her if I were you.

Just so you know - I had this start about 3am - I was in hospital by 9am, and had the baby by 6pm but only because they were giving me medication to try and stop it happening given that I was so early.

Fingers crossed for you girl 

x

• I'll try walking around and then time them when they get more sore, i've noticed my belly is getting hard randomly so maybe i'll time how long that last for..

Thank you for finding out how long they had to be before i could go to hospital, i didn't wanna go to early so i'll time them and wait for how long they last and then phone up when i get to that point!

She said for me to call her when i'm having contractions so i'll time them and then ring her, thank you for your help! x

• your def showing signs of labour sweetie.i didnt show the mucus plug either.i had period like pains for 11 hours.didnt even realise i was in early labour & then my waters broke at 2 am & had my daughter @ 10am that morn.i wish u the best of luck.take deep breaths & remember u body will know what to do so join in with it & relax xx
  • Okay, do you have any suggestions of what to do? I haven't really slept so i did all the house work and now i'm on the ball just waiting for a sign and i cant relax xx

• I still think you should call your MW or your maternity unit now Madeeleine - let them know what's going on and she'll give you next steps.  Once you know how close your contractions are, let her know and she'll know if you need to head to the hospital or not.  I get the feeling she'll tell you to go.  You have plenty of signs girl, the only thing you're missing is your waters breaking - and note that mine never broke, I had to get mine broken about a minute before the baby arrived......!!!

• Okay i'll give them a ring! thank you image 

• let us know what they say x

• It sounds like the start of things (the good news).  Every time your bump hardens is a contraction and that is what you should be aiming to time.  Don't be surprised if you get called to a 'check up' only to be sent back home, early labour can take minutes, hours or days (the bad news).

Keep as mobile as you can to help speed things along, when you do rest try to do so either sitting straddled over a chair leaning against the back or laying down on your left with your right leg bent across a straight left leg.  Best wishes and good luck.