Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Elective vs Emergency

Hi Ladies,

I had a horrendous induced 36 hour active labour (3 hrs pushing) etc which ended in EMCS.  I had a pg condition which meant I had not slept for more than an hour at a time for weeks and I couldn't eat in the labour.  I was a complete and utter mess for weeks after.

How much better is a planned c section?  Has anyone compared an emergency with a subsequent elective?

Replies

• Hello Tulip, I have no comparison as I only have the one child, he was breech and at my 36 week scan was measuring big so they brought me in for steroids and I had him at 37 weeks. It was such a lovely experience with it being planned. Everyone is cheerful and chatting away. I worked at the hospital so my husband could come in whilst they done the block. The only fault I could say would be after and unable to move, but elective sections all the way!
  • Thanks. Really reassuring to hear a positive story x
  • I had an elective csection after failed induction. It was great. Calm, straightforward and only a small scar very low, which healed quickly with no infection etc. I recovered fairly quickly and was having a shower and straightening my hair after 12hours! I only had a spinal block too so much quicker recovery with feeling etc.

has the consultant agreed to elective section 2nd time straight away? I'm hoping that as i needed one last time i qualify this time too? Xx
  • You can now request an elective.

But most hospitals would give you the choice after having had one section.

I got a pregnancy complication which I will likely have next time and if so there is no choice. If not then I get to choose.
  • Hi TulipRose

I'm interested in this too, as I had my LO by emergency c-section 15 months ago, and am due with DS2 in August.  I've been given the choice and have opted for a planned c-section this time (DS1 was 9lb 7oz!).

Although my emergency section wasn't too traumatic, it took quite a while for me to get mobile again, and i struggled with things like sitting up and holding him to breastfeed for a few days afterwards.  I'm wondering if this is because I'd had an epidural in for around 12 hours before they gave me a spinal block and did the section?

Hoping that by just having the block things will recover a bit more quickly.

• I had DD by EMCS for failure to progress after 2.5 days in labour.  I was a mess.  To say I was away with the fairies after is putting it mildly! I reacted to the diamorphine and remember very little for 12hrs after.  DH did first feed, first nappy, skin to skin (bless him!) etc.  My milk failed to come in and I was exhausted for weeks, combined with a womb infection.

With DS two years later I had elective CS, as I had GD and my consultant wanted baby out at 38wks and wouldnt induce on a section scar.  It was great! I still reacted to the diamorphine (they now accept I'm allergic!), and another creeping block, BUT, I was with it, and able to BF successfully and I just enjoyed my son so much, it was much much better.  The recovery was just as long, but much easier as I knew exactly what to expect and more importantly, what NOT to do i.e. anything I could get away with!image

Hope that helps.  If you have any questions, just ask me. x

• Lulee - thanks so much! It's good to read an honest account. You aren't claiming recovery is too different physiunits but better emotionally. 

im pleased your second c section was so positive. 

I feel similar to what you a describe. I would like to just feel more capable to look after myself and m new child. We did manage to Brest feed but it was intense and a closely run battle. My oh was asking me to stop trying. 

I also want to ditch the feelings of failure and being so ill and exhausted.

i will leave that up to baby number two.image

• Glad I helped.  If you have any other questions at all, please ask. xx

• Hi Lulee,

i just noticed you are looking at a VBAC and you mention feeding. 

You can successfully feed after a section. It's definitely harder but is say its more about the support and advice around you. My DH was essential and I alshaven't to see breastfeeding counsellors. It's good to have people to talk to.

im still weighing up whether I would choose a vbac if allowed. we will see.