Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

normal birth vs water birth

Just wondering if anyone is planning on a water birth, or has anyone experienced both if so which did you prefer ??

Replies

• Options

i really want a water birth. my first was a normal birth but with an epidural (which they gave me way too late so only had it for pushing and ended up pushing for 2h, luckily didnt need forceps). so this time i want a waterbirth and really hoping it works out.

• Options
    thanks for the reply, when are you due ?
  • Options
    Hey queenasanti83 I had a water birth for my first and normal with my second.

I think it really depends on you and how the labour is going. Both my babies were back to back which made it impossible to sit down. Therefore I ended up standing in the pool, pretty pointless really!! I was also really dumb and took the bikini tops from my honeymoon where I was obviously at my skinniest and they were very small to say the least, haha!!! I didn't like the water despite living baths.

Second time around I had a normal birth in the delivery room rather rthan the birthing suite. This was due to complications after the birth of my son and I wanted things to be more clinical. I preferred this as the midwife was more present. I think they thought I wanted a more natural birth in the birthing suite so we were left to it!!

Looking back I prefer the delivery room but that might be because I knew what to expect and had a clearer idea of what I wanted. Not sure this will help you to be honest. I guess the best advice I can give is don't have a fixed idea of what you want as things may need to change and you don't want to feel disappointed.

Good luck with your decision x
  • Options

im only due in nov so i have quite a while to think about the birth image