Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Confused

Im really confused,

I am 38w 2d and for the last 2 weeks I have been having contractions NOT BH this is third baby so I know the difference, Midwifes have even confirmed this.... BUT THEY STOP first hospital visit a show and 2cm dilated 2nd  hopspital visit 3 cm dilated 3rd hospital visit 5cm dilated but my cervix isnt thinning with dilation or so the dr said I dont know what the hell is going on and if this poses any risk to baby? Has this happened to anyone else because I am starting to feel like a real idiot and I am sick of these "False alarms" Yesterday we presented at the hospital at just after 3am and didnt get home till late afternoon because everyone thought it was labour they put me into a birthing suite and got everything ready. The doctors say they cant break my waters as it poses a risk with my cervix still being "long" and at one stage babies head had gone back up and they thought I might have to have a c section. I just want to know if anyone has any ideas as to why this might be happening because I just feel like I am getting the run around.

Replies

• Hi confused,

Daft as this may sound have they done a growth scan?  I ask as my sister underwent a similar process with my nephew & the reason her cervix didn't thin was because baby's head was too large to descend properly so he kept engaging/disengaging & eventually was delivered by elective c-sec at 40wks (he was 11lbs6).

It's the only thing I can suggest maybe happening but then every pregnancy is different.  Hope little monkey makes an appearance soon.

• I had something similar with my third. I started while I was at work in the middle of teaching at 36 weeks. The contractions were really painful and every 5 minutes. I wears taken to hospital in an ambulance as they didn't think I would make it in time. I was there for hours with th machines confirming that I was having proper contractions and really strong needing gas nod air. After 6 hours I was 3cm dilated and they snt me home and told me to come back when things got worse. I was seeing my consultant the next day anyway. The next day I was still having them every 5 minutes including though the night. However I wasn't dilating quick enough so told o go home. He said he expected me to have it within 48 hours but made an app for a week layer just in case. Cutting a long story short I had contractions every 5 minutes and saw him once a week to confirm thy were contractions nd not bh until they induced my and broke my waters at 39 weeks. They couldn't wogetaways what was going on or why my body wasn't doing anything t contracting and I was induced because of my spd and breathing difficulties. 

Again I know every pregnancy is different but they ended up saying that I was just in really slow labour! For three weeks.

hopefully they will act quickly with you as you are already 38 weeks and 5cm dilated. I would keep pestering them to find out what is going on.

hope little one arrives soon If it hasn't already!