Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Elective Episiotomy vs. Elective C Section

2 years ago with my daughter I had a 4th degree tear & PPH. Luckily I healed well and I am now expecting another baby. If I was to have an entirely natural birth again I run a high risk of damaging the rectal tubing and possibly being fecally incontinent for the rest of my life so I've decided one if the above options is best for me. At the minute my consultant favours elective episiotomy, cutting deep to the pelvic fat and being done by a registrar (not just the labour ward dr). I wondered if anyone had had this done? Or if you think I'm barking mad (like my MIL) and should have a c-sec?

Replies

• Options

I can't offer any advice but if it were me I'd perhaps go for the option with the quicker/easier/more straight forward healing time what with it being a 2nd baby. I'm sure u will make the right decision xx

• Options
    I really don't know hun I'd go for which ever option suits you best. Xx
  • Options
    Personally, I would go with the episiotomy. I had one with my dd and I did lose a fair amount on blood as a result and did get an infection but was given antibiotics within a couple of days of birth and it cleared up straight away. Until the antibiotics I thought I would never sit down again but I'm sure you know how that feels with your experience. A c section is major surgery and personally I would avoid it if there's a safer means, especially as the consultant is advising the same.

This is obviously based on my experience so only you can make the right decision for you. Good luck x