Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

c - section at 37 wks

I think as my csection date approaches im starting to worry more. Im due to go in on the 19th dec because of spd, and stupidly have been googling risks associated with having a csection at 37 weeks. There seem to be a lot of people who say they shouldn't be done before 39 weeks because of the risk of fluid on babys lungs and the possibility of them having to be in special care for a night. Ive worried all through the pregnancy and now am worried about putting my baby at risk too. Are these risks low? Does anyone have any positive stories they can share? Thanks.

Replies

• Hey Hun it's normal to worry but they wouldn't have booked u in at 37 weeks unless theyre certain he's gona b ready. Babies r classed as full term at 37 weeks so I'm sure he'll b just fine. 1 week to go bet u can't wait xx

• Thanks hun, ive worried about everything!!! I think I am just worried that i am putting bubs at risk. Do you know of any instances when people have had a csection before 39 weeks? I just cannot wait to have him in my arms. X

• I had a c-sec at nearly 38 weeks last year & my son is perfectly healthy don't worry hun your have some brilliant newborn cuddles real soon xx
  • Thank you, that helps! xx did you have steroid injections first? Docs haven't mentioned it but going to ask midwife tomorrow!x

• Yes I did but that was the rules of that hospital they r all different thou if u do have them they do hurt just a little warning it's all well worth it when you have your bubba in your arms x
  • Think i will mention it tomorrow. I want to do everything i possibly can for bubs x

• Worth asking definitely goid luck hun xx
  • Rose 86 did u speak to your mw xx
  • I did yea, she said baby at 37 weeks is classed as term and they wouldnt offer steroid injections unless baby is under 36 weeks. She said every hospital has different policies and that they wouldnt be offering the section if they felt the risks outweighed the benefits. So basically what you ladies had already said! image am just nervous about the section itself now, how it will feel, i get scared going to the dentists! Lol x

• That's good then I've had 3 c-secs & I'm too terrified to go to a dentist hun it's gonna hurt but so does a natural birth (so I'm told) just make sure u keep the pain killers topped up even if u feel u don't need them just for a few days or so & just take it slowly to begin with u know your body listen to it the main thing u worry about is baby then you nothing else xx
  • Is the actual procedure as horrendous as it sounds? Is it over quickly?x

• It's not as bad as it is made to sound honestly hun esp your 1st one you'll have your baby within roughly 5 minutes then you'll just be looking / holding your  baby its ok hun promise xx

• Thankyou. I think its the thought of whats going to happen but am desperate to hold my baby boy so im sure that will keep me going!!xx

• Oooomg this time next week u will have ur wee man! X

• Cannot wait now. 6 days to go!! Can't switch off lol! Hope you are ok!!x

• Sometimes what we think will happen is worse than what does happen like u say just focus on your new little man & all them lovely cuddles your have with him next week such a special xmas present my son is the 18th Dec it's magical good luck hun keep us informed & a sneaky picci of your new bubba xx

• Good Luck Rose. I think I'll be getting a c-section at 37 weeks, so it helps me to read all these comments on here. I'm the same as you and nervous about it all.

Looking forward to your update next week and pics of your wee boy!

AM x

• Thanks flee, how long will you have to wait? Am just trying to think.of the positives. Cant wait to share the good news next week!x

• Thanks mum of three, will be sure to keep you all updated, and will be posting photos! Xx