Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Evening primrose oil

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice...

has anyone used evening primrose oil to thin out cervix and make it more favourable? I was advised to try it by a friend, taking 2capsules 2/3times daily. You can also use it as a lubricant during sex to ensure it gets closer to the cervix, or you can pop a capsule internally and it will disolve overnight so im told but i am unsure of whether to try this so was hoping to hear of some peoples experiences with this?? 

Hope to hear back soon

xxx

Replies

• I think there are ment to be a few hundred different ways to bring on labour and I tried most with my second annoyingly I think babies appear when ready lol
  • I used evening primrose with all 3 of mine. It didn't make them come any earlier but I think it help to soften my cervix and help speed up labour x

• Yeah i think baby will come when he/she decides but if it helps in any way then in up for trying. Thanks ladies! Xxx
  • My midwife told me to use Primrose to ripen cervix. I was having a home water birth and I definitely think this helped. My son came at 39.4 weeks and within 5 hours.

I'm going to use it again with this next one.

• Natsienoo, how long did you use it for? I have been using for a couple of weeks

xx
  • Hi linzi ,

how you doing hun ? I used epo to increase cm when ttc and also used it a few days before the birth of dd nearly 4years ago , ( capsules ), also tried raspberry leaf tea , not sure which worked but with 3rd baby went into labour an hour after my 1st cup of r l tea , born 3n half hours later !! (was 2 days past edd ) took just over a week with with #4 , woulld def give them a go , will take both from approx. 38 weeks this time too , good luck hun , hope it works for you x x

• Aw eve! Ive been taking the rl tea since 35 weeks and the rl capsules since 36 weeks. Started on the epo about two weeks ago but nothing! Have tried sex, pineapple, hot baths, bouncing on the ball, hot garlicky food ( as apparently garlic along with spice helps clear you out to allow room for baby to drop) and walking but nothing is helping! I get achy crampy pains, sharp shooting pains in the bottom.of my bump and bach ache but never comes to anything! Getting frustrated as super uncomfy, struggling to breathe and cant even dress myself not to mention the lack of sleep for the past month or so! Think in driving hubby mad with the moaning hehe. This baby is well and truly comfy in here! Due date is wed this week so will have a sweep then as have midwife. Fingers crossed i go before then though! Hope your pregnancy is going well, there have been a few bfps on the other thread which is great! Hopefully this will be everyone's year ????

xxx
  • Ah hun , I feel your frustrations , one thing's for sure though s/he can't stay in there  forever , hope the sweep works its magic , have never had one myself , friends have though , to good effect , keep me posted , look forward to hearing your news x x x

• Will do, wont be long i guess whatever happens. Cant believe after everything we are finally gonna have our little bundles of joy! Will keep you posted and thanks for all your support over the year xxx
  • Hi Linzi, hope you are well? Dying to hear how you are getting on x x

• Hi guys, well in very proud to say we had a little boy, Emmett, on Tuesday night, 6 days late. Was a bit traumatic, went into labour in the early hours of Monday morning, struggled to stick to my birthing plan of just gas and air so i could get in the pool, but i managed only to be told at 9.5cm i had to get an emergency section. So just out of hosp last night, very sore and cant do much for myself but hubby has been fantastic so cant really complain. Hope you are all well ???? xxx
  • Hi linzi , so pleased to hear your lovely news , sorry it didn't go quite to plan but glad you're both safe n well , bet your dh is over the moon n loves looking after you both , take care n enjoy being pampered x x

• So lovely to hear from you Linzi. Congrats on the safe arrival of your little boy. How much did he weigh?  Sorry your birth didn't go to plan, but glad you are both ok. Welcome to the Mummy club image x x

• I just feel so overwhelmed, but in a good way, that we are finally parents! He was 8lb13oz. So bit of a big boy image lol how are things going with you both eve and supastar? Xxx
  • I remember being overwhelmed first time I held dd thinking omg she is mine. I suppose its hard to take it all in until they are here in person. Enjoy every minute of him! Wow that is a good size. I'm ok thanks, booked in for a 21day blood test just to make sure all my levels are ok. FC everything is fine, but its one less thing to stress about. x x

• Ill keep my fingers crossed that all is normal for you. Yeah it is a bit overwhelming especially after the section but in hoping when things calm down and I can move about better ill be able to do more things for him. All i am really is a food machine just now lol xxx