Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Active birth

Hey gals, so I, freaking out ATM, I'm 30 weeks pregnant and due to see my midwife in a few weeks, however she is god awful and is so rude and generally comes across disinterested and whenever I ask her questions, as a first time mum I ha e a lot her answer is 'it's in your book' so when I'm next due to see her I have to come up,with a birthing plan, although she's not talked to me about anything! IM Considering an active birth, anyone else know more info on this or having an active birth themselves? Xxx

Replies

• Hi hun , is it possible to change midwife ? I'm on number 5 , new midwife - n still have questions , she should have time to listen to you , , I would def give active birthing a go , n possibly  hypnobirthing ,my last 2 were very active births n liked the feeling of being in control - as much as you can be , def better than lying on the bed n the use of gravity helps loads , not sure how I would have coped if the labours had been long with tiredness etc , but I'm sure being active made them go faster anyway , good luck , hope you get the help n info you need x x 

• Yes deffo active birth if u can. I was 10cm when I got to hosp with first but she wasn't engaged so had to endure an hour of agony till she dropped. I stood for as long as I could, leaned over the bed n birthing ball, used a stool. And when I got round to pushing I did it on all fours x

• I wish I had changed her earlier tbh but I juse kept thinking maybe someone's had a bad day and gave her the benefit of doubt, however the bad days seem to be every time I see her, I wouldn't knoto ere to starat bout changing midwife so late on. Hypnobirthing never heard of that will give that a google. Lol xxx

• I would definitely recommend active birth! With my labour with dd I literally didn't stay still! I have a problem with my hips so was told not to have an epidural but it would have been my worst nightmare I think!! My hubby joked that I dad danced the whole time! Haha!! I was at home for 24hours until I went into hospital & kept busy all day. They moved the bed really high up 4 me 2 lean on & I stayed that way for the next 10 hours! Warning though be prepared for the biggest ankles you've ever seen if you're stood up a while!! Lol! Then pushed in any position that felt ok! Birthing stool, all fours, stood up!! Turned out she was in a funny position so ended up in theatre but I loved my labour until the very end when it all went a bit wrong!! I hope I can do it like that again this time!! Sorry that was really long!! 

Thats rubbish your midwife is like that! Is there more than one midwife at your doctors? I seemed to have a different one each time I went! X

• ooh im so glad you asked this!! my last 3 i was confined to the bed ive been thinking alot about what i could do different this time as my new partner is much more supportive than my ex husband was and far more likely to be usefull rather than sitting there looking awkward lol. ive thought how much nicer it would be to be up and about and also maybe a water birth???

ive always been strapped up to hb moniter and im not even really sure why. also i completly get your mw issues as ive mentioned before my mw looks about 12 when i asked her some questions she just reffured me to consultant when i question the fact that 26 weeks was rather late on for what i wanted to be seen about she told me that was normal-it wasnt!! so im reluctant to bother to ask her anything!!

• i didnt really think too much about what i wanted to do before going into labour and just went with what felt right at the time both times. in both cases i stayed active though without thinking about it. with my son i stood the whole time during contractions, the thought of sitting down made me feel icky. with my daughter i bounced on the brthing ball till i was about 6cm and then got in the tub where i gave birth. both my labours were very fast too. tooka total of 5h for my first (which is incl 2h pushing because i begged for an epidural during the transition phase and ended up pushing in a semi reclined position) and only 2h for my second start to finish (pushed for only 2 contractions). so my best advice would be: do what feels right and stay active, try getting in the water, and get acupuncture in preperation for labour.