Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Scared to go to the toilet!

Hi everyone image I gave birth early hours Monday morning. Forceps and stitches were needed. I asked the doctor how much he cut me and he said just a little?! Not exactly a answer i was looking for but hey ho. I feel pressure all in my bum area. I dont no if this is normal as thats where i got told to push when it came to pushing her out. Midwife came iver yesterday and i told her and she said it will just be very tender. Because im not sure where the actual stitchings are im scared to go poo image wee is fine and i went strait after giving birth so no problems with that where the sticthes are more then likly are. Just wondering what others have done when they went for their first time after? Thanks x

Replies

• Unless the docs gave you any specific advice i would try not to worry too much Haleigh... Make sure you're drinking lots & eating fruit & fiber so hopefully you can go & just don't strain / push really hard when you do try. using babywipes might be better too  than reg toilet tissue as will be a bit more gentle on the delicate spots.

• the longer you leave it the firmer it will be and more likely you will be constipated. I would suggest waiting until the very next time you get the urge to go and go immediately while yr body is doing some of the work for itself. That way any pushing would be a minimum of effort on yr behalf. Take lactulose if possible. It will soften stool and it will lubricate it and completely safe for breastfeeding mum. Tastes gross as it is basically sugars/syrup to act as a laxative. Xxx
  • Lactulose is what I had to take when breastfeeding made me constipated. You get the same fear with c section stitches too xxx
  • They gave me iron tablets and some pain relief tablets because of the birth but they never mentioned where they actually cut me. Midwifes coming over again on Saturday to do the pin prick test for baby and they said they can check for me if i want but with it being sore i dont want anyone going down there at all! Lol.

I managed to go to the toilet. I waited until i needed to go so wouldnt have to push much and it was actually ok image no doubt il be worried again when i next go lol but when i look at Sienna-Lily shes worth it all image xxx
  • Aww I'm glad you went. Iron tablets can constipate you too so its essential you drink lots and go when u need so that doesn't happen. The first time is usually the worst. Just keep relaxed image

Sienna-Lily is a pretty name. Xxx
  • Lovely name haleigh , it is always a bit scary the first time you go , I found lactulose the best thing to take too but like samantha said it's best to drink lots , how is the feeding going ? hope you're getting lots of rest n sleeping when the baby does , good luck for sat , I would get midwife to have a check - just to be sure , might put your mind at ease x x 

• Thank you image im deffo going to get midwife to have a look on Saturday. I cant believe how sore ive gone. I had a hot bath for an hour today and it felt so nice and pain free when in there. Only lasted for about half hour when i came out. Could actually walk sorta normal but now the pain feels twice as bad!! Sorry for tmi but even when im sitting on the sofa and i have wind it just irratates it image

Boyfriend has brought me some lavinder oil though so might have a bath again tonight and use a bit.

Feedings going fine but im worried shes having too much! She will have 2ozs sometimes 1 and a half and at times 3 and then 2 hours later shes crying wanting to be fed again!! She had a feed at half 5 and then at 7 she was crying so tried to get her to wait a little, 15 mins later she had 3ozs!! Xxx
  • Feed on demand chick, my Lexie still only goes 2 hours sometimes then 4 others. She wouldn't b crying out for it if she didn't want it. Hiw much did she weigh? X

• Yeah i will do from now. She weighed 7.11 and a half pounds. They said its a good weight to say shes 2 weeks early. Shes tiny though!! Nothing hardly fits her. Boyfriend had to go buy some smaller sizes on the day i came out xx
  • I had a cut with my dd and I remember the mw was stitching me for ages. When I asked her how many stitches, she just said it's one long cobtinuous stitch. ..that wasn't very helpful.

Anyway, a day or so later I was in a lot of pain and had to send dh out for a an inflatable ring. I spoke to the nw on the phone about it and they just said of course it's painful you've just had a baby! When I went in for dd heel prick test they checked me over and the reaction if the mw said it all..."aw that looks very swollen. No wonder you're in pain". I had an infection and had to have antibiotics. As soon as I had them it cleared up with no I problems.

If you feel that you can't wait until Saturday, see if a mw can see you sooner or go to your gp.

I hope everything else is going okay.

Gp
  • Ahh no thats horrible. I wonder if i have an infection then. I wasnt sure if a stitch had come open as i went on a little walk to tesco yesterday and when came back i was in agony so all ive done today and il be doing it for the next few days is rest and also having a bath.

Does the midwife touch down there to get a good look? As im far too sensitive to have people touching round there. When ive been having a wee i just pat some tissue there and thats it xx
  • Ive just had to stand in the shower and run the water down there just so i can wee image my boobs are leaking so much as well now lol so cant wait to start feeling myself again xx
  • The mw didn't touch me. I just had lay on my side. I also had a horrendously huge pile which didn't help. ...The joys of having a baby!

I used witch Hazel and tea tree in the bath. Also witch hazrl dabbed on to a pad is good for healing.
  • And I also thought I'd ripped a stitch a few times but they're very strong. It was just the pain in general.
  • I was stitched a lot after my first as was cut and tore. Mw said badedas bath bubbles and thetly did help sooth x
  • Im gone see if i can see a doctor today as i thought the midwife wont pescribe me anything tomorrow if needed and she will say wait till monday to make an appointment x
  • App made. Think its with a guy as well lol. Hopefuly he can prescribe me something xx
  • good luck Haleigh.

I used Bededas bath stuff after both my boys and its brilliant at soothing. x

• The Doctor had a look and said from what ive told him and from the bit of smell he reckons i have a couple infections but everything is too swollen dowb there to tell for sure. Hes given me two types of antibiotics so fingers crossed these will help get rid of it xx
  • Hi hun , glad you trusted your instincts n went to the dr , infection can set in pretty quick , glad you've got the antibiotics on board n they can help to make you feel better , I can empathise with the milk leaking etc , you feel like everything is coming out of you all at once , it will get better but please be kind to yourself n let others look after you as much as possible , sending you a big hug x x