Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

2nd baby - braxton hicks and dilation

Hi I'm 37+2 with my second baby and although I've had braxton hicks and pelvic pressure for a while I noticed things have changed since yesterday. The pain down below has gotten stronger and it's now pretty strong when I walk or change position. Yesterday I had to keep stopping when walking because it took my breath away. My braxton hicks have become a bit different. It's hard to explain. They feel more regular and often I am getting the low down pain (similar to smear test feeling) WITH the braxton contraction. I don't remember this with my first so I'm not sure if it's a second pregnancy thing where everything hangs lower or perhaps you walk around a little dilated before labour begins? Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm not worried, just curious and wondering if I I need to make sure things are ready. I was expecting to go overdue with this one.image

Replies

• Hi lovely , I could have written the exact same post , 

Feeling intense pressure down there , like it's between my knees ! 

Think it's because we are nearly ready to pop - that's what I feel like anyway image no 2 pregnancies or labours are the same - all of mine have been slightly different ,had scan yesterday , baby's head was so low we couldn't see any of the face this time n back to front so good to go , trying to keep my legs crossed til tomorrow evening when dd returns from school trip , would be a relief if they were to come a little early though wouldn't it , good luck hun x x 

• Ooooh babies will b arriving soon! X

• Eve that's really spooky. I suspect you will be before me however.

I keep feeling like a pulsing of my pelvic floor or cervix. Not painful just tending and relaxing.

I had a feel (sorry tmi) and my cervix is always so high. However the edge I could feel is really mega soft and I am full of white cm. I suspect if I could feel higher I might be a little dilated. It really was all very mushy. Sorry!

I expected to be quite tightly closed and firm still.

I think because my first I was induced at 39+6 I sort of assume that we will atleast get to this gestation if not a little later.
  • TulipRose,

I'm feeling the same. My bh have got stronger and last night I hardly slept.  I have a full feeling down there as if something is trying to escape. Today my back is in pieces, I have really low back ache which isn't eased by changing position. 

I had a presentation scan yesterday and baby is head down so we are all set for a vbac. 

I guess the wait is nearly over image

• Annie it's so funny reading your post after seeing your birth announcement. image

I'm hoping your luck will rub off. image

I had four hours of contractions last night. But painful so really thought they weren't braxton hicks. I guess it's a pre labour type thing?

Been niggling all day with cramps and backache and some odd contractions but not much else. I feel like it's gearing up again tonight.aybe we will be lucky or it will go on like this for another few weeks. Who knows!?