Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Recovery after a C section

Hi ladies,

My little boy is still breech so the hospital advised me to have a c section. I'm booked in for Thursday next week and I'm a bit scared of the unknown. Would you mind sharing your stories? How long did it take you to recover? Were you able to breastfeed? How long did you have to stay in the hospital for? Any advice will be much appreciated!

Thank you xx

Replies

• Morning hun, I had her on the Thursday and was out Saturday night. It's not as bad as u might think but I did have a bad experience, was left in recovery with little offer of water or pain relief and no food for 12 hours as they had no bed for me then I became very ill n had to have loads of tests done. Turns out I was bleeding internally but that wasnt diagnosed till about 14 weeks later when I was still bleeding and had had 9 courses of antibiotics! I've now got a blood clot on my incision that is slowly dissolving away. It was sore for a long time after and I couldn't walk very well for a few weeks but as i already have a 5yo I probably didn't take as much rest as I should have. I was able to breastfeed. Sorry it's not the best story lol but I know of people who had really good experiences I was very unlucky lol! Just take all the help u can from friends and family, good luck hun u will b just fine x

• Oh and take plenty of big pants to hospital lol u will need them when they remove ur catheter n get u out of bed x

• Thanks hun! Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience image It must be awful not being able to walk for such a long time and suffer with all sorts of pains. How are you now? How is everything with the little one? xx

• we are great thanks hun n in back to normal now, scar is very neat and shrinking as time goes on. Still lots of hard scar tissue underneath it but that will go away in time. The op is very quick, feels very strange but not unpleasant or painful. Like someone's washing up in ur tummy lol. They'll give u iron tablets (I lost a litre of blood during the op so had iron tabs for a month) and injections afterwards to stop blood clots and some great pain killers to take home with u. Plenty of fluids thru ur drip and antibiotics just incase of infection.  Peeing afterwards can b quite hard as the catheter can bruise inside a bit. But it's really not as bad as u think it will b I was petrified but it was fine till I got poorly. x

• I had an emergency section with my 2nd child and am booked in for a planned section in less than 3 weeks worth my 3rd. I agree with the lots of big pants comment above lol...and don't forget the thick pads,I lost a lot more blood after my section than I did with my vaginal birth. I found recovery not too bad at all. I won't lie, it's very painful for a while but just try not to do too much; that was my problem in 1st couple of days and I ended up crying and in agony begging the nurses for pain relief! I had my section on the Wednesday morning and went home on Friday afternoon. I was back to driving very quickly as I felt comfortable and my insurance company and midwife said it was fine. Breastfeeding was fine too, just used to rest baby on a pillow over my tummy which I found was the most comfortable position for me. I used to rub e45 cream on my scar daily once it'd begun to heal and it's really neat now. Just wish I'd done more stomach exercises as I was left with a bit of a flabby pot belly!

Good luck for next week hon, hope you have a positive experience xxx
  • Thank you lovely ladies! I am a bit scared but I know that this is the best option for the safe delivery of our baby. I bought some snacks and drinks for the hospital, just in case they don't look after me and also got some Aptamil newborn milk just in case my milk supply doesn't come in straight away. I do hope that I will be able to breast feed, I really want to do it image I will try to rest as much as possible and told DH that he will have to do all the chores for a while and made him promise that he will not play Clash of Clans - that stupid game! The person that invented it deserves to be shot in the head ha ha

xxxx

• lol the comment about the game had me in giggles image

Its amazing how quick your body can heal, i didnt have lennon via a c section but i have a c section done back in 2009, my scar can hardly be seen, and i was stapled after my op, i had my op done on the monday and i left hospital the tuesday night, then a week later was at the doctors to have the staples taken out, which i didnt feel, i dont have any feeling where they have cut me.

xxxx

• Hey,

i found the advice from here really helpful when I was told i would be having a c section. I was so scared and started to panic about needles and pain. I didn't even feel the epidural  was shocked when they said it was done! 

i really had nothing to worry about it was a really nice experiance.

I found the first 3 days the worst for as in not being able to do much and I stupidly let the pain killers slip. I was told 6 weeks recovery however after 7 days I was washing,ironino,hoovering and 3 weeks before I felt ready to drive which is today :) 

Really please don't stress about having a c section it's not that bad and I would do it again!