Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

2nd time mum apprehensive about water birth

Hi all,

A bit about me - I'm 30 weeks pregnant and have a 3 year old son. His birth was really straight forward, was only in active labour for about 7/8 hours, although then took me 2hrs to push him out! Before I had him I had in my mind what I expected; my close friends and family had all had long, painful births with intervention so I was fully expecting and open to throwing every drug in the book at my labour and having an epidural. When it came to it, I managed on my tens machine, gas and air and one shot of morphine. As I say I hadn't intended this, wasn't just being brave, but I actually felt really proud of myself.

So this time I've moved areas so am under a different hospital and community midwives. At my last appointment the midwife was saying to have a think about birthing options and had I thought about a water birth. Well I'd completely dismissed this with my son but I've started thinking maybe it would be nice.

I've got it into my head that this labour will be shorter and I'll cope even better because I know what to expect.

I think I'm concerned though that a water birth is one of those things that you have to commit to mentally 100% and maybe I'm not.

Has anyone said they'd like a water birth and then hated it during labour and reverted to "normal" dry-land birth??

I'm just worried that I won't be able to cope after all and will be begging for the morphine (which I know I can't have in the pool) and I'll feel daft for thinking I could do it.

Replies

• Hi, I had a water birth in February and it was lovely! The warm water really helped sooth my cramping muscles & helped me to manoeuvre into a good birthing position - I was pretty big & lumbered about a bit on land! Seeing my son swim up was incredible - I'm due my 2nd in 2 weeks & hoping to do it again :) Hopefully it is shorter for you this time & I'll bet you cope better than you think. Best of luck whether you use the water or not :) x

• Second labours are generally shorter. I didn't get my waterbirth with my 1st (had to get out for the pushing stage), this time I did get my water birth, at home & it was the only pain relief I used. The use or not of using pain relief isn't about being brave or making a point but about what you choose and what is right in the situation.

You can change your mind about what you want in labour at any time you want. Why not try the water & see how you feel.

As the pp said. It's amazing feeling catching your baby & guiding them to the surface of the water & picking them up. Truly incredible moment for me. Hope your labour goes smoothly whatever you decide