Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Would you have your dad at your baby's birth? Heidi Klum says it's 'totally normal'. Agree?

Hello.

We've just been reading that model Heidi Klum has said she asked her dad to film her giving birth. And, in fact, that he was there at each of her four labours, capturing it all on film.

And that's made us stop and think.

Because we're not sure everyone would want their dad at the birth.

What do you all think?

Heidi says, "I had no problem with my dad doing it at all. I’m his kid. He made me! So he can watch my kids being born. To me that is totally normal."

Do you agree with her? Would you be happy having your father there with you as you give birth?

Or is that something you're just not comfortable with? And if it is, can you tell us why?

Please do let us know what you think by adding a post to this discussion thread. We'd love to hear your views.

Replies

• No way would I want my dad at the birth!

He's lovely, my dad. But no, I don't want him seeing me having contractions and pushing a baby out into the world. 

Mind you, I'm not sure I'd want my mum there either!

• Yes defo! I have thought about this many of times if you want someone to share that moment with don't matter whom that person maybe do what makes you happy!

• I wouldnt want my dad there! But my mum was with me with both my girls... great support, as you know your mums been through this all and knows how you feel and where you hurt.... mums all the way!

• I think it really depends on the individual. For me it's more important to have my husband there, and I didn't want anyone else there at all (no mum, no dad). However, my husband is military and there was the risk that he might be deployed, in which case I would want some support.

Having spent some time thinking about it (in case the worst happened) I do think I would prefer to have my Dad there - rather than my Mum. I think my Mum would worry a lot more than my Dad, my Dad is far more level-headed. Also it would mean that my Mum could watch over my toddler! 

• Euuuuuw just no lol not my cup of tea!

• I had a baby girl almost three years ago and I felt like I should of sold tickets because I had my mum, my dad, my best friend and three midwifes lol. In my own personal experience I wanted the people I loved most around me for that special moment because I was having my baby as a single mum from day one so I was thankful for the support and besides when your in the middle of contractions and pushing a baby out you really don't care who is watching, your just concentrating on getting him or her out of you as fast as possible lol xxx

• Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat Guidelines.