Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Giving birth naturally makes you a 'proper mum' says Katie Hopkins. Anyone care to differ?

Hello hello

We've just caught up with some of the comments Katie Hopkins made on LBC radio yesterday about labour and birth. And we thought you may have some something to say about them...

Apparently, la Hopkins said she gave birth 'naturally' to all three of her children, She then said, “I do feel like a proper mum because I gave birth to my children without much fuss. 

"Ultimately birth is physical process… and sometimes I do think maybe mums need to get on with it a bit.

"Toughen up, man up, take it like a man, and actually just give birth naturally because it’s fairly simple. All you have to do is push."

Now we know our Katie likes nothing better than a good controversy but, really, saying "all you have to do is push" demands a proper comeback, don't you think?

If you didn't have a 'natural birth', do you feel you're not a 'proper mum'? And if you did have a natural birth, did you really just 'toughen up and take it like a man'?

Do please let us know what you think. We'd love to hear your thoughts on this one!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/126190.jpg

Replies

• FGS. If I hadn't had a C-section, I'd probably be dead. Wouldn't be a 'proper mum' then, would I? 

• What would Katie Hopkins have done if her baby's heart rate dropped. (At the thought of being her child probably) the woman is an ignorant, miss-informed slag. She has no business sharing her vile opinions. 

• I have really had enough of hearing of Katie Hopkins and her opinions..seriously..the woman is a proper pain in the ar*se! She just says things to keep herself in the press and obviously thrives on controversy! it is plainly ridiculous to claim you are only a 'proper mum' if you give birth naturally..having had to have a last minute ventouse assisted delivery as they were worried about my LO and two further emergency c sections, I do not feel any less of a mum, my babies were born healthy and that is all that matters and should matter. And for her to say take it like a man..man up? Ha! what a joker! can we not all just ignore her until she goes away?

• My first birth was horrendous, 28 hours a failed ventouse an epesiotomy and forcep delivery, 40 odd stitche's and 2 units of blood later, u call me anything but  a proper mom and you will be in a world of pain!

What a stupid woman, if she sat down she would give her mouth a chance to talk since!

Nothing but a cheating slapper who needs to belittle people to feel good bout herself!

• Grr sence not since - stupid phone

• I have had four very different births, my first son, I was 'A Proper Mum' apparently, (stupid stupid woman!) my second son I gave birth to him completely naturally with absolutely no pain relief, and yes, at the time, I felt happy and a little smug, however when it came to giving birth to my two daughters, it was very different. Both were well over-due, and I waited until the very last second until I was told I had to have an emergency C-section or my baby could die. How utterly hateful for those mums out there that have no choice over having emergency C-sections to hear from this vile scummy excuse of a female, to say that they aren't proper mums unless they give birth naturally. So those wonderful women who adopt then, who take on those children that would have no-one, to be told that because they never gave birth, they aren't proper mums, or to those like me, who had no choice over how they had their babies...well, let me tell you something ladies, it doesn't matter if its a vaginal birth, if they come out the 'sun-roof' if its forceps, Doesn't.Matter. ALL that matters is that you love, care and cherish your baby, that he/she is happy & healthy, and that you as the mum are happy & healthy. Katie Hopkins, I know you will say anything to get into the spotlight, but really, this is so so sad. Its Love that makes a Mummy, nothing more...nothing less. 

• Totally agree carriecakes. 

Could we pls stop paying attention to this woman. Then maybe she will disappear.

• @ Thehoads, I totally agree!! 100% agree that boycotting this vile woman is the best thing, lol, it just got me riled! I tend to ignore everything she says, but felt I had to make my point! lol. Its so laughable/terrible that the ONLY reason she's 'famous' is for bullying people. What a world we live in. xxx

• Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat Guidelines.