Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Would you have a cesarean section?

Hi I'm training to be a doctor and I'm conducting a piece of research on cesarean sections as the C-section rate is growing year on year yet there hasn't been much of an improvement in newborn and maternal mortality rates. Not looking to start a debate just wanting some honest views to help gain a greater understanding. Anyone who takes the time to fill this in I really appreciate it. So what I'm asking is:

Would you have a C-section?

If so why? If not why not?

If you have had a cesarean section why did you have one? what information were you given before the procedure? do you feel you made an informed decision? would you choose to have a C-section in future?

What do you believe is the Safest way to deliver?

What country are you from and where did you deliver your baby and what year?

What was your experience of your obstetrician/Midwife?

Please tell me anything else you'd like to add image

Replies

• Would you have a C-section?

Only if it was a medical necessity

If so why? If not why not?

I believe too many pregnant woman are pushed into medical interventions (inductions etc) purely due to the estimated date of delivery which can lead to a cascade of other interventions when natural labour doesn't kick in. I personally wouldn't want to have surgery unless there was a medical emergency.

What do you believe is the Safest way to deliver?

In the place & position that you are the most comfortable with the least amount of interventions. Birth shouldn't be a time when women are dictated, they should have the choice to have the birth they want.

What country are you from and where did you deliver your baby and what year?

I live in the UK and I birthed my baby at home in November 2014, 13 days past my estimated due date.

What was your experience of your obstetrician/Midwife?

My midwife kept telling me she was pro homebirth but from 39 weeks started to put pressure on me, telling me that it would be convenient if I had the baby soon, trying to dictate how my home birth would go (what SHE wanted) & kept talking about setting the date for an induction & booking me in for a stretch & sweep when she knew I didn't want 1. The last straw came at 41+3 when she said I had to go for monitoring despite no concerns in my pregnancy. I told her that I didn't consider myself to be overdue until I was 42 weeks & even then I would've had monitoring as there was nothing medically wrong with me & the baby. I had to contact my SOM (supervisor of Midwives) who agreed that I should come in to the hospital (only been to see midwives at my local gp surgery throughout pregnancy) at 42 weeks for my 1st monitoring session. Not surprising my baby arrived when I felt more relaxed about his arrival!!

Please tell me anything else you'd like to add

Estimated due dates should be an estimated 6 weeks, from 37 weeks to 43 weeks. If women are allowed to wait till their babies are ready to be born naturally I believe that both mother & baby will have much better outcomes including making it easier for women to breast feed (if they wish) without any drugs in either of their systems. There also needs to be a greater understanding of birth portrayed in the media as there is far too much fear surrounding birth rather & tv shows showing women birthing on their backs which is 1 of the worst positions to actually give birth in as you also have to push against gravity. & women being told to hold their breath & push rather then just breathing deeper to actually stay more in control .